Offering extra services during routine maintenance

A couple days ago, I took my 2009 VW Rabbit in for its 10,000 mile/1 year service, as recommended by the owner's manual. When I got there and the service tech was looking at my car, he said that based on how the tires looked (I don't remember the term he used), he thought my car might need an alignment. I told him to go ahead if my car needs it. When they were done with my car, they said it did need an alignment. One of the documents they gave me was one of those sheets of paper showing how the wheels were aligned before the alignment - so I feel okay about having that done.

The 10K service was free under VW's warranty, but of course they charged for the alignment. I'm wondering, does this seem questionable? All I expected to have done was the 10K maintenance service. Should I expect the Volkswagen dealership to always offer services beyond the routine maintenance when I take my car there?

Eric

Reply to
Eric O.

That's how they make money. That said, you still may have needed an alignment. *are* the tires wearing more on one edge or another? Looking a little feathered? If so, you didn't get the shaft.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

You should be able to see the tire wear for yourself. Is the tire more worn on the inside or outside of the tread (feathering)? Was there a noticeable pull when driving the car? Did the car drift off to one direction when letting go of the wheel? Tire stores generally charge about $70 for a four-way alignment on a front wheel drive vehicle. I have a feeling you paid more than that...

Yes, you should expect the service writer to always recommend services beyond the routine maintenance- service writers work on commission- if you only have free warranty work done, they don't make a commission.

There's a reason why they call it the "stealership".

Reply to
Noplacia

Our local blokes do the same. Every time you darken their door its the same story , " we recommend an injector clean" for $100 Aus.. I mention its not recommended by petrol manufacturers and doesnt appear in service book and they might just know more than the accountant cove trying to meet his budget performance. I,ve asked and its an additive into the tank, just like the $10 bottle at Supercheap.

Reply to
John