Oil burning engine question

Hi all,

I have a 2000 Beetle with the 2.0L engine, 52k miles on it.

My car burns a lot of oil. If I don't check and replace it regularly, it could go through 3 or 4 quarts every 3,000 miles.

I've had my engine inspected by a non-VW repair shop and they aren't really able to tell me anything other than that the oil is not leaking. They say just keep checking it and filling it up. I'm not really happy with that solution.

Is there a way to fix this, and should VW be liable to pay for it as a warranty repair?

Thanks, Frank

Reply to
Frank LaRosa

This is the truth. Truly though, how hard is it to pop the hood every 1000 miles and add a qt of oil? Aren't you supposed to be checking fluids every other fuel topoff anyway? I know, you are going to say that no one does this, but in many manufacturers owners manuals it will say it is recommended.

Reply to
Simplstupd

Is it still under warranty? If not, was it doing it when it was still under warranty?

Reply to
Biz

Well I'm not sure. What's the warranty on a 2000 Beetle? This may seem like kind of an obvious question, but I don't remember and when I called a local VW dealer, he couldn't tell me either. (He said I'd have to tell him specifically what was wrong before he could say whether it was covered).

Unfortunately, the problem only became severe enough for me to take note in the last few months. Before that, I would often find out I was a quart low when I went in for an oil change, but I didn't think it was a big deal.

On a related note, what kind of oil should I use?

Frank

Reply to
Frank LaRosa

Regarding warranty. My 99.5 "new" jetta had a 100k mile power train warranty to the original owner and 50k miles if you purchased it used. I think your new beetle is the same. Your oil consumption is too high. Find a good dealer and work with them. They have a procedure to monitor your usage that starts with them changing the oil.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

If you purchased it new then the warranty is 10years/100,000 miles, otherwise 5years/50,000miles. If you haven't you should read the owners manual closer, especially the warranty part of the manual. That said sounds like your engine maybe using a quart in the 700-1000mile range. What you need to do is contact a VW dealer and request they do an oil consumption test. Once done then the decision will be made if engine repair work is done. We have seen owners complaining of excessive oil usage, but when the test was done the engine would use oil at a rate of 1 quart per

1500-2000miles. I just had one yesterday with the same complaint that the owner was adding oil... well it was over 2 quarts over full already! Duh...

Reply to
Woodchuck

All of the warranties are described in the owner's manual.

Oil specs are in the owner's manual. Probably 5W-40 if you are in the US.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee