Oil leak and clutch questions

I have a 89 Golf with the RV motor and 5 spd. Anyways, my clutch was getting really hard to use. Hard to push down, slow to come back up. Finally I got around to replacing the clutch cable (which I bought about a month ago), but now its too easy, for my own preference, to push down. I seem to recall reading something on the net about removing the spring that is mounted on top of the clutch peddle. I remembered this today, because when I removed the cable I pushed the peddle about an inch or so and that spring pushed it to the floor. I'm guessing that the purpose of this spring is to "help" you push the peddle, kind of like a brake booster, but it also seems to keep the peddle al the way up when it isn't being pressed. Now here's my question, can this spring be removed to give a bit heavier clutch feel or will this do more harm than good?

My second problem is an oil leak at the back of the motor. It is not coming from the cam shaft cover for sure. I'm thinking its either the head gasket leaking or the camshaft seal. The oil is coming down the back of the block starting where the head meets the block. The block only has oil on it from the upper timing belt cover to about maybe 6 inches towards the drivers side. Basically, the rear passenger side corner of the motor. I have no coolant in my oil or vise-versa and there is no blue smooke coming out of the exhaust. Do head gaskets have a tendency of going in that spot or is a cam seal a more likely culprit?

Thanks for any and all help.

Also, i have recently aquired 85 and 87 4 door Jettas, both automatics and i am stripping them for parts. I live in Sudbury, ON and if anyone is nearby and needs some parts just let me know. Most stuff i'll probably just give away or sell for very cheap. You have to come and get it if you want it though, cause shipping stuff would be too much of a hassle.

Mitch

Reply to
Mitch