Oil light goes off on my '85 VW GOLF, HELP!

So I have an '85 VW golf sitting around the house not sure of what to do with it and it needs a new muffler and a new cat converter and I needed to drive it since my truck is being worked on. And of curse the oil light buzzes and the red light goes off so I stop and put 2 qts in, I smell something burning....it's fine, it goes off yet AGAIN, add

2 more qts. still more burning, dipstick says it's full... So the next day all is fine until I drive 2 miles and it goes of again, this time, 2 more qts and the engine is smoking and I leave with nothing but smoke coming out of the tailpipe. Uh, I think I added too much oil (ya think?) and the damn light and buzzer stays on. My dad says it could be a gasket or a sending unit (??) but he knows nothing about VW's and I don't know much about cars. So....if anyone knows much about these '85 VW GOLFS and oil lights, any help would be appreciated. And if you could send a reply to snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com I would be VERY appreciateive of that. Thank you , goodnite
Reply to
FatWhiteSurfer

Oil light = low oil pressure

Oil light does not = low oil

Overfilling oil can damage your engine.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

So... if the oil was full you now have over 10 quarts in that engine and the light still comes on! The oil light may come on for several reason such as low oil pressure, bad sending units, or bad buzzer circuit in the dash cluster. Best thing to do is get the oil pressure checked, but on the other-hand with all that extra oil you're killing the engine!

Good luck

Reply to
Woodchuck

never put more oil in if the oil level on the dipstick is at the top mark.

you might have damaged the engine or at least overwhelmed the seals by putting in all that oil..

do you have a mess of oil under the car?

the oil buzzer problem is well known.. is caused by one or two faulty oil pressure switches, or a bad oil pressure relay in the instrument cluster or under the dash.

FatWhiteSurfer wrote:

Reply to
hyubso