oil pressure light and tach meter

hi everyone,

experiencing something weird on my 97 td jetta:

all of a sudden, tha tach meter went to zero while driving. at the same time, the oil pressure warning light came flashing on. That pressure light dosn't come from the pressure switch: I checked it...

I alos noticed a lightly glowing battery charge indication.

Would all those symptoms came from one same problem? Anyone has a hint?

Thanks,

Steph

Reply to
Steph

Very strange indeed. The oil pressure indicator malfunction would be what I'd troubleshoot first , after checking a few things like oil level - alt. belt tension

- battery fluid level . For the oil light to come on and the tach to stop at the same time very weird. Maybe that voltage regulator ( transistor ) on the back of the speedometer cluster if the 97 has one . Good luck

Reply to
samstone

hint, hint... I know the answer!

Reply to
news.wildblue.net

It's probably a bad ground cable between the battery and the engine block. Or a bad ignition switch ...

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

I did a google search on your symptoms . you are not the only one who has had this happen. Several posters found the alt. belt loose and one fixed his by whacking the alt. with 18 mm spanner. Yikes

Reply to
samstone

nope!

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

thanks... I finally found bad alternator... all came from there... thanks everyone

Reply to
Steph

Isnt the tach on a Diesel driven off the alternator? that bit makes sense. I can't explain the oil light.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel