Oil question for 95 VR6 - 53K Miles

Now that the 95 Passat VR6 wagon will sit outside (newer cars in the garage), I'm considering a change oil from dino 15W40 to synthetic Mobil1

10W30 to help with starting car in winter (Virginia Washington DC suburb), temperature can dip down to low teens. Has anyone made this change to synthetic oil with this engine and mileage (the engine / car is very well taken care of)?. Any input is appreciated
Reply to
Tony

Early on when synthetic first came out, there was some concern about switching to synthetic in older engines. It seems there were two problems. The synthetic was a thinner base and could get past small openings and leak where the standard oils would not. It was also suggested that it was a matter of the synthetics not having seal conditioning properties. Another issue brought up was the fact that synthetics seemed to be better at cleaning the engine (detergent) and would clean out gunk that was acting as a seal in some areas allowing for leaks.

In the mean time both standard and synthetic oils have improved and there does not seem to be any such problems any more.

However I suggest that unless your garage was heated, the engine will not know the difference in sitting in the garage all night or outside. It will be just as cold. Wind does not make a difference here.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

When I purchased my 99 Passat with 40K I switched to synthetic. And I switched my 88 S10 Blazer to synthetic in 1990. No problems. Just do It!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Yes i've made the change from baby to synthetic she had alot of miles on her but that was all top end the only problem is that the sheets get very dirty.

Reply to
coolwater