Oil specs for 2004 TDI

For anyone interested, here's the new Tech Bulletin from the brainiac engineers at VW:

"Subject: Engine Oil, Special Requirement Model(s): All with 1.9L TDI - Eng. Code BEW - 2004

Condition: The 1.9L TDI engine (BEW) requires and must always use special synthetic engine oil that expressly conforms to VW Oil Standard -505 01.

Service: The only engine oil which currently meets the standard is Part # G

052 187 A2, (a special 5W40 synthetic motor oil).

Part # G 052 187 A2 is only available at authorized VW and Audi dealers. (snip...)

Engine damage caused by using the wrong engine oil will not be covered by the Limited New Vehicle Warranty."

How convenient, eh? Hope the aftermarket steps up, since the amount of the special oil needed for an oil change will run ~$90 at the dealer.

Jason in Albuquerque

Reply to
Lantrip

If using non VW oil will void the warranty then VW must give you the oil for free.

Reply to
David

Why must they do that?

Reply to
Tundra Wookie

There are laws governing warranty's which cover the use of proprietary parts which would void the warranty. I don't have direct knowledge but that's what I've heard and think he's referring to. Hopefully Big Oil will come to the resuce with over the coutner 505 spec oil.

Reply to
Mike

"Tundra Wookie" wrote in news:1065234980.884529@prawn:

Because federal law requires it. However, I think that only applies when the manufacturer's (or some other brand) part/material is specified by _name_. In this case, they're requiring a certain specification, which at this time is only met by the manufacturer's stuff. There's nothing stopping other oil manufacturers from certifying that their oil meets VW

505.01, and when that's done it would be fine to use their stuff as well. I'm somewhat skeptical of VW's decision to require only their proprietary spec, rather than an established API and/or ACEA spec, but I don't think we've got a Magnuson-Moss violation here.
Reply to
Dan Brown