Oil Type? Winter Coming up

I have a gasoline 1989 Jetta GL I don?t have the owners manual but I do have the haynes manual, however it does not say what type of oil is recommended in the car.

What would you guys suggest with winter coming up?

Reply to
vwiowa

Just about any 10X30, 5W30 or 10W40 should work fine. They all should meet the specs for your 1989.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I always run 10w30 synth (but regular would be fine) in wintertime on a high mileage engine.

Reply to
philboeye

I am using 20W50 year 'round in my 270,000 mile 1988 Cabbie, even though I have new mains and rod bearings and a new oil pump. After warm-up, oil pressure reads 1 bar at idle and 2.5 bar at 2000 RPM. The engine is a 1.8 liter 8 valve gasoline with automatic transmission.

Reply to
Papa

I use 10w40 all year for my 1986 Jetta. VW dealer says they use 15w40 diesel for all cars all year around.

Reply to
William Park

Obviously depends where you live! Alaska has different winter demands than Florida.

Here's what Bentley recommends for a gasser of your vintage:

5W20 or 5W30: -20F to +20F 10W30: 0F to +60F 15W40 or 15W50: +10F to +90F 20W40 or 20W50: +20F to +90F

Personally wouldnd use a single-grade oil, except where needed: SAE40 for +70 - +100F.

BTW, oil pressure values can be very misleading. It's primarily a function of the resistance that the oil is seeing going thru the passages. Thus, 20W50 (at a given temperature) would show much higher pressure than 5W30 but doesn't necessary give any better lubrication.

rgds, g.

Reply to
Gerry Wolfe

At least it makes that oil buzzer stop. :)

Reply to
Peter Parker