Opinions on the W8 Passat

Inquiring minds want to know dept.

My local mechanic has a W8 Passat with a pristine body but a blown engine at his shop.

The owner is thinking about replacing the engine. My guy can get a used W8 motor for $4500 or a replacement engine from VW for $7500.

Is this car worth fixing?

(This is not my car; I am just curious).

Reply to
rikoski

And if he doesn't fix it what is it worth? I think it is worth fixing, but I would hesitate slightly about that price! lol

I would also want to know WHY the engine blew!!!!

JMHO

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

What do you mean by "blown engine"? Could be a lot of things, gasket, hole in the engine block etc. Maybe it's repairable for less....Interesting motor to take apart!!

SFC

"dave AKA vwdoc1" schreef in bericht news:hash2o$14te$ snipped-for-privacy@adenine.netfront.net...

Reply to
SFC

I think it had a valve crash. Lotsa chains in that engine. Probably a turbo 4 or a six would drop in at the cost of the cache of the W8.

Time is money.

Pretty body on this particular unit though.

Reply to
rikoski

The car (Passat) deserves that W8, not a 2.0 liter four. If the body is in great shape, a fresh engine might be the way to go.

I have a 2001 Audi A6 with the sport suspension, and a Passat would be an alternative to me.

Reply to
CP Miller

Just talked to a person that just recently traded his '04 Passat W8 due to engine problems. He bought it from a VW dealer used at 35K, purchased THEIR recommended insurance plan on the mechanical systems, had the VW dealer change the oil at $170 per, but after driving it another 41K miles = sludge problems. :-( He said the shop + ins. co, looked in the engine, saw sludge and claimed improper maintenance. He also indicated that others have experienced issues with those engines at

70K miles also.

I do wonder if this is the same Passat??? 8^o

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1