Original oil filter way too tight! (04 Golf)

I did my first (5K mile) oil/filter change on my 04 Golf today.

Or, at least, I changed the oil. I couldn't change the filter because the old filter (the one originally installed at the factory when the car was assembled) was on so tight that I was absolutely unable to remove it, even after three hours' worth of trying numerous tools and all the brute strength my arms, legs, and (poor aching) back could muster.

I had already drained the crankcase before discovering that the filter had been installed by a gorilla with power tools, so I ended up (for the time being at least) putting in new oil, but keeping the old filter.

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem? How did you deal with it? Did you get VW involved? (I'm very seriously considering raising a stink over this with VW -- arguing that the unreasonably tight oil filter is a defect that they have an obligation to rectify, without charge, under the warranty.)

Rich Wales snipped-for-privacy@richw.org

Rich Wales

Take it to a VW dealer. They should be able to get it off.

Reply to
Papa

NO, it's not a "defect" if you have the correct tool to remove the filter. Check with the techs at your dealer and have them show you what they use to get the filter off... and BTW you need to remove it from under the car.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I had a really hard time getting the filter off of my Passat 1.8T. I ended up using a strap wrench. That worked like a champ. Kurt

Reply to
Kurtis Daniels

Thanks. Would you happen to know what kind of tool the VW techs do use to remove the filter?

Understood -- and attempted.

Someone else suggested a strap wrench, BTW; that was the first thing I tried, but in this case it was totally ineffective.

Rich Wales snipped-for-privacy@richw.org

Rich Wales

Drive a screwdriver through the filter, turn.

Clean up the oil spill with kitty litter.

Next?

Reply to
Don Mac Phee

I've had it happen too... PITA, put the old oil back in and took it to the dealers.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Reply to
Tom Wallace

I finally took it to a mechanic. He told me afterwards that he had needed to use a two-foot-long breaker bar in order to produce enough torque to remove the original oil filter.

Rich Wales snipped-for-privacy@richw.org

Rich Wales

Reply to
Woodchuck

One of those big channel lock type oil filter wrenches. :)

Reply to
Peter Parker

Scary German thinking...

:)

Reply to
Peter Parker

"Peter Parker" replied:

The independent mechanic who finally removed the filter used a two-foot-long breaker bar, together with some sort of three- fingered "claw" type of tool to grip the sides of the filter.

When I described what had been needed to a dealer service manager (who had earlier refused to loosen the filter for free as a warranty repair), he agreed that this was much more force than should have been necessary.

A conventional filter wrench (e.g., a cheap strap wrench) would not have been suitable, because there is not enough clearance around the sides of the filter (various A/C and radiator hoses). I tried using a strap wrench with a swivel handle, but I wasn't able to produce enough torque and didn't have a breaker bar.

Rich Wales snipped-for-privacy@richw.org

Rich Wales

Just saving money, 3 grams of oil on each filter seal does add up over 100 or so years!

Reply to
Woodchuck

I've had to use this method too, although as last resort. I'm always afraid of shredding the whole thing and leaving just the stump that still won't come off.

It may help to try loosening it up when it's at its coldest outside too and everthing is more contracted.

Reply to
Dino