Our new Touareg

Brought home one of the "left over" 2004 Touareg V8s today. Silver on dark grey leather, nearly fully loaded. We test drove various other vehicles, the XC90 T6, Grand Cherokee Limited (Hemi), Lincoln Aviator, Land Rover LR3 and outgoing Discoverey, the FX45, the 2005 Nissan Pathfinder, BMW X5, SRX and a few others. Only the Cayenne could match the Touareg's overall combination of sport and luxury, the others were all flawed in one area or the area and most all of them seemed a rip-off compared to the VW. Anyone considering buying one probably should. Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

I agree that the Touareg is probably the best value and, conceptually, the best vehicle in the bunch. However, I've had a load of issues with my '04 V8 -- a total of 32 days in the shop since purchase. Issues were creeky steering column (still creeks), clunking in front under carriage (replaced steering column), wavy windshield (replaced), buzzing in all audio inputs (took them 8 months and a week in to solve with new wiring harness), navigation is very poor (was told, "that's the way it is - live with it"), key fob range bad (TSB applied), constant TPMS faults (finally replaced with MFI that does not monitor continuous pressure). Along the way VW has applied about 10 TSBs. I know it's version 1.0 - but c'mon - they've been building vehicles for years. Lemons happen - I have one - I hope that you don't. I will persue the lemon law soon...

Tod (Auburn WA)

Reply to
Tod Reinheimer

Our's is trouble free but only a few days old. However I've had flawless luck with my GTi so you never know.

We opted not to get the Navi because the car is for my mother and she doesn't go far. However we test drove a V8 equipped with Navigation and it worked very well. Maybe you need to try a different dealer. I disliked the system in the new Jeep Grand Cherokee but it was really a matter of small qualms. Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

I know someone who has one of these. So far the love it. No problems at all. They usually lease their cars and get a new one every 4 years or so. They said that they plan on keeping the Touareg when the lease is up.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez