Overheating and airlocks

Some weeks ago somebody posted a story of a Golf that overheated and seemed to always be airlocked. Well, It happened to me this week.

Story: day 1: low coolant light in the morning. was ok day before so I ignored it (had no coolant to refill it and had just purged and replaced it and did not want to contaminate if with tap water.)

day 2: needle goes half a line over the 90deg mark, which never does. 2 miles and the heater core exploded. Fogged windshield. Turned A/C on and pressed on (very busy highway). Car did not overheat (never got over 100) until I reached city traffic. Refilled with tap water, and left the cap loose until destination.

day 3: (a week later with the heater core replaced). Tried for hours to refill the cooling system. Always boiled over before the fans came on. Hotwired the fans on and drove it for a couple of days with no problems.

day 4: (2 weeks after day 1) car overheated in traffic and boiled over. Replaced fan switch and still got no fans.

day 5: drained whole system and filled every hose with tap water, making SURE no air was inside. Still got no fans before boiled over.

day 6: Started over refiling and testing every hose for heat. Suspecting a bad water pump I ran for 10 seconds with open hoses, got decent flow. Only cold hose was the bottom rad hose and the tiny hose going from the reservoir to the head.... hmmmm that used to be hot. Took it out and was clogged with a mixture of rust and hose debris. Port into head was also clogged. Succeded in unclogging it partially... started the engine with that hose connected to the reservoir and plugged, not connected to the head. a trickle of water and vapor came out of the hose for 5 minutes and then the fans came on. The bottom rad hose was hot and the system unlocked.

So... I have one or two questions for you: is that port a one way valve or a measured port? Should more than a trickle come out of there? If it should, any ideas on how to unclogg it without taking the head out and hot tanking it? I promise never again refiling it with tap water :)

Reply to
Eduardo K.

It is nice to know which vehicle you are talking about! I assume it is a Jetta/Golf (1994-) with the 2.0 engine.

Yeah I have seen that little pipe in those heads get clogged. I don't remember if it stopped the heat or caused an overheating problem. Do you think it caused your heater core to explode?

JHMO later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
One out of many daves

ah :) yes... a 2.0 engine in a 96 Golf...

Don't think so. It did cause an airlock that lead to an overheat. Heater core must have been the weakest link.

Reply to
Eduardo K.

Ok so this morning my 2001 Golf 2.0 started overheating. No visible leaks anywhere and the overflow tank for the coolant was full...what might be wrong?? Can someone help?? Is it that little hose this guy is talking about maybe??

Reply to
Shay84

wait unitl the car is cold. look for the coolant overflow/expansion bottle. there are two hoses, one small on the top one medium on the bottom.

the one that clogs is the small one. remove it and check. check also the port on the head that the hose goes into.

but... if it started all of a sudden, I would check the thermoswitch for the fans first...

Reply to
Eduardo K.

Ok I'll look at that tonight when I get home. the minute it looked like it was going to overheat I parked it and had it towed to my house. I was thinking either something with a hose, or the thermostat was broke?? Sound logically being there are no leaks and the fluid isn't low?? Thanks for the help...i greatly appreciate it!!!!

Reply to
Shay84

If it over heated in the highway, its either: low coolant, stuck thermostat or, if you are very unlucky, head/headgasket problems.

If it overheated in stop and go traffic it can be the fans...

Its easy to check for airlocks, as the heater will not work if its airlocked badly...

Reply to
Eduardo K.