Parts for Cam Cover Gasket R&R

Need to fix the oil leak. It's gone past seeping :(

I can see that the intake gasket at 'the split' will need replacing after the upper intake is removed to get at the cam cover. What else am I going to need, assuming none of the 12 year old plastic bits break.

Yep, have a Bentley. Just looking for someone's experience having done it. Don't want to have it down while I'm waiting for parts.

TIA, Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

From memory.............. It is a pretty straight forward job with just some bolts on the firewall side of the engine that need removal. Parts will probably just be the intake manifold gasket at the split and the valve cover gasket. I will assume that you have the necessary tools, maybe allen wrenches and torque wrenches. You might need the little vacuum hose going to the Fuel Pressure Regulator since those sometimes crack or break when disturbed. I think the trickiest part of this job is that center bolt/nut of the intake manifold. But it is not hard to do, just requires some patience.

Please stuff some clean paper towels in the intake manifold runners as soon as possible and don't forget to remove them before you reconnect the intake manifold. This stops the OOPS! lol

Perfect time to clean the throttle body and replace the spark plugs and plug wires. ;-)

Clean all metal surfaces with degreaser before you install the gaskets. The torque wrench is helpful to use! ;-)

Have fun! later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Thanks. Sounds like some good ideas.

Just looking at it looks like cleaning the mating surfaces will be the most time consuming part. And changing the oil afterwards to get rid of whatever may have gotten knocked loose in the process.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol