Passat 2000 (v6, 5 speed manual) ---> cv outer joint boot replacement

Hi all,

It is unbelievable that both front outer cv joint boots are sectioned completely and I have to replace them. I am not sure if this is so common but for me it is unbelievable that such a thing happened. My question is this. Can I remove the drive axle without damaging the alignment of the wheels?

I think to remove all the bolts that keep the drive axle fixed on the transmission and on the wheel hub and then slide down the inner part and pull out the wheel hub the outer part. Does it work or not? On my old A2 Jetta I have to remove the front shock absorber if I want to remove the drive axle, implicitly I modify the geometry.

Many thanks,

Fermat

Reply to
Fermat

Yes, but you need to loosen the lower ball joints.

Reply to
Woodchuck