Passat 2002 - Brake Lights out! Replaced 2 bulbs

I have a 2002 Passat Wagon v6 4Motion and the brake lights no longer work. One of the 2 Lower back lights was broken. I cant seem to get to the Light that is in the hatch.

I've replaced both of the lower lights and the Break lights still do not work. I've looked at the fuse block on the driver side (is there another?) and the fuse card is not obvious as to which is the break lights. I did a visual inspection on all 40 something of them and they all look good.

What might I try next?

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott Townsend

if the 3rd brake light is also out, then I would check the brake light switch.

Reply to
Woodchuck

So none of the brake lights work? Try replacing the brake light switch or at least check it.

I have seen wiring break in areas where they bend frequently due to opening and closing doors or hatches. good luck!

Reply to
One out of many daves

I've taken out the Brake light Switch and it seems to be functioning fine. I hooked it up to a meter and when I press it I get continuity. Park release also works which also is tied to the brake switch. So I think I'm good there...

Though I dont know which wires do what, so I'm not 100% sure if the thing works. Is there a pinout for the wires going into the switch?

Is there a fuse or relay associated with the brake lights? I cant seem to find one.

Thanks, Scott So none of the brake lights work?

Reply to
Scott Townsend

Are you sure you looked at the brake light switch? I thought when there was NO pressure on it there is continuity. That sounds more like maybe the cruise control brake switch. Did you check it's wiring plug to make sure you have power at the plug?

Yes there should be a fuse for the stop/brake lights. I am not sure which one on your 2002 but it should be indicated on your fuse box cover or possibly in your owner's manual.

good luck, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
One out of many daves

I found a link on the VWVortex.com site that detailed on how to replace the BL Switch, so I'm pretty sure it is the right one. Though I guess there are

2 leads from the switch. One for releasing the car from Park and one for the Lights. I only got continuity on 1 of the 2.

I looked at the cover of the fuse panel and none of the icons on it looked like Brake Lights to me...

I took the Car to the dealer yesterday and they confirmed it was the Brake Switch that was bad. They fixed it without charging me...

Thanks all for your input, Scott Are you sure you looked at the brake light switch? I thought when there

Reply to
Scott Townsend