Passat

Please talk me out of buying a 2005 Passat VR6 wagon. I've spent years fixing two A-2 Jettas, and I've driven all the reliable, boring, ill- fitting Japanese cars on the market to replace them (I'm 6'2 with long legs). I'm close to concluding that a Passat is more reliable than these two old clunkers, and, if I buy one, I might not have to spend every Friday night for the rest of my life under the hood of an aging VW. Please tell me I'm wrong so I can buy a Camry and join my friends at the old folks' home.

Pat

85 1.8 auto 87 1.8 manual rust bucket bought for $100 from a guy who rebuilt the head and tried to get it running for a year 93 Subaru Loyale (given to me) 93 Ford Aerostar van (the only car in my driveway that starts consistently, but is almost impossible to work on)
Reply to
PatAL7L

Maybe a V6 engine not a VR6 engine???

They require attention too, but you will like driving it!

Here are two Passat specific yahoo groups you can join. snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

JMHO

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

The VR6 is a pretty tough engine with a decent reputation for longevity and the Passat transmission gets highmarks. After which, the Passat of that vintage is, in few words, difficult to service (see "expensive") beyond the basics. I will also suggest that '05 was about at the end of the VW - we-don't-give-a-sh*t-about-our-customers era such that you need to be additionally careful about the vehicle history and repair records. This particular vehicle had three recalls as I remember, depending on fuel and type. So check those as well. BUT, and this is a big one - the '05 is the only Passat that Consumer Reports does not put on their 'avoid' list through '08. That is worth something, at least.

Given the similarly priced alternatives which _are_ relatively easy to service and are comfortable for 6'+ people (I am 6'-3"), you should check out some of the Euro alternatives - Saab,Volvo, Mercedes - as well. This will make you feel as if you have covered all the options anyway.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Based on my personal experiance with a 2000 Passat, the following is also useful:

WVK