Passat '98 1.8T aircon noisy

Our '98 Passat 1.8T estate (UK registered)on tickover is nice and quiet when the aircon is off (ideally by setting the heater fan to OFF), but when the air con is switched on, there is a mechanical noise which is a lot louder than the tickover. Turn fan off, noise goes away, turn fan on it returns, but it's definitely not the heater fan itself (I used to think it was but it's not!). Our mechanic diagnosed a faulty aircon compressor, which with the poor performance of the aircon last summer seemed to fit. So we now have a nice new compressor. Problem is, the noise is still there, appearing in exactly the same way. Does anyone have any similar experiences and so what is the problem likely to be? I'd be very grateful for any help!

Reply to
Mikethebike3

Alec

Reply to