Passat Accident

I was cut off yesterday by a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The driver felt the need to turn left across opposing traffic to enter a highway w/o looking. I hit him in his rear right tire with my 04 GLS. He spun and his rear axel came off sending the wheel flying.

I fear my Passat is a total loss. The front is pushed in and the right front fender is history. However - what a car. I barely even felt the impact and the cabin was untouched. Strangely - no airbags deployed. Both doors open w/o a problem and I walked away. It is definitely amazing to me that an impact like this left me completely unscathed. Unfortunately, a new Passat is out of the question based on price and personal taste about the new model. This is definitely one great car. Too bad - 54,000 miles and a lot of years left.

David

Reply to
D&LBusch

Sorry to hear that but I am glad you are OK! How is the Jeep person?

Your Passat should still be worth about $9,000 so there must be some serious damage to it for it to be totalled.

Let us know what you happens and don't just settle for the first offer!!!!! Someone I know just got $7200 for their 1997 Passat that was totalled last year (not her fault). She was able to drive it very safely until she found a '04 Passat 4-motion for $9,000. WOW is she happy with her "new" Passat and the deal!!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
buschky

Autotrader.com is your friend !

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

Well the insurance company has decided to fix my Passat. $7,000 damamge - but they say the car is worth too much too total. I have mixed feelings.

D&LBusch

TEST DRIVE IT WELL BEFORE PAYMENT!!!! Most people don't know that they are allowed, by Federal Law, that they have the option to test drive the vehicle BEFORE payment. A sign should be posted somewhere in the shop especially at the Cashier's area.

I remember a friend of mine having her wagon repaired after a serious accident where it should have been totalled. It looked beautiful after the repairs but ever time it rained the cargo area filled up with water. The repair shop finally had to replace an inner rear 1/4 panel. When they washed it it leaked inside too after they basically told her she was crazy! After that was repaired it was fine! I wonder how a repair like that affects the value of the vehicle! hmmmm

Oh also take it through a car wash to check for water infiltration! ;-)

JMHO

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

D&LBusch

Yes but YOU have to sign off on their work AFAIK. So if you don't sign off yet then you still have leverage! ;-) Sometimes people have a deductable too, which is also leverage although usually a small one! lol

Read here about the value of your car after repairs:

here about test driving:
I tried to locate that law about testing out the car AFTER repairs and before paying, but I did not find it......yet!

Oh and does your car look like this Audi A4 after the accident causing it to flip over a couple of times?

family (husband, wife and 2 small children) was able to walk away with no serious physical problemsI think his Audi is totalled though! ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

This family (husband, wife and 2 small children) was able to walk away > with no serious physical problems> I think his Audi is totalled though! ;-)> --

D&LBusch