Passat heater core woes

I'm attempting to replace the heater core in my '91 Passat GL. Have removed the dash without too much trouble, but now staring at the black housing that contains the heater core, AC condenser, and circulation fan. I haven't the foggiest idea how to get into it. The VW manual I have is completely useless in this regard, but suggests that I need to evacuate the AC system even if I'm just changing the heater core! (They're kidding right?). This is the same manual, by the way, that explains how it's necessary to drill out the steering column shear bolts to remove the dash! Glad I didn't try that one!

Anyway, If any of you have accomplished this daunting task I'd like to hear from you. Thanks in advance.

Ken

Reply to
NOSPAMbcdog

E-mail me I have directions on how to get the core out without touching the AC. Once the dash is out, which you did, the core is the same as the Corrado.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Hmmm, I forgot how I did the 93 I worked on. It's A/C system was already empty though so I might have disconnected it. I just don't remember. If there is a "correct" or easy way to do this I would like to know also. ;-) I do have pictures of the dash apart and heater core coming out though.

dave