Passat - Premium Gas - Warranty

VW recommends premium gas for the Passat. Will the car run well on regular? Will using regular gas void the warranty?

Leonard M. Wapner

I don't know about the warranty, but IMHO premium gasoline is rarely ever necessary. I have driven a big 1995 Buick Roadmaster for 130,000 miles with not a drop of anything in it except regular, and it has a corvette V8 engine. Never had an engine problem yet. In addition, I also have a 1988 VW Rabbit Cabriolet convertible. Same story. It has over 270,000 miles on it and has always used regular. No engine problems there either.

In the case of the Cabbie, I have been think of converting it to an electric vehicle (EV). With the price of gasoline at $3.00 per gallon for regular, and no apparent end to the rise of gasoline prices, it may become a mandatory necessity to go to EV operation if I want to keep driving.

Reply to
Papa

I would also LOVE to hear the answer to this definitively. a Buick and Rabbit are not the same engine so unfortunately that information does not help those of us with these VW engines. I have a 1995 VR6 Passat and a 2001 V6 30V Passat and both of these come with a requirement/recommendation for Premium fuel. Consumer Reports reports these cars as "requiring" premium fuel but I think the manual may actually say "recommended" for best performance.

Please check your manual and also let us know which engine you have. I think the higher octane requirement stems from a high compression ratio. I believe that both my Passats are 10.0:1. The octane rating of the gasoline indicates an ability ro resist engine damaging "knock" caused by pre-ignition and detonation.

I have been running regular unleaded in my cars and I drive them both gently. The computer determines the ignition timing that will work for the conditions using the knock sensors.

I do not know about the warranty.

Papa wrote:

Reply to
Mark

For my non-demanding city & highway driving with my '02 GLS Wagon (automatic, 1.8T), absolutely.

No idea.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

The manual for my '02 1.8T states that you should use a minimum of 87 octane. The inside of the gas cap sez 91 octane. I typically use 89. I could not detect a difference when I hve used 87 or 91. Most stations in Northern VA have 87, 89, & 93. A local Sunoco has 91 r+m/2 for about 2 cents more than 89.

Reply to
Charles

My Cabbie has a 4 cylinder, 8 valve, 1.8 liter engine. I used to have a 1987 Oldsmobile V6. It used regular gasoline as well. In regard to the warranty, just ask the dealer, or contact VWOA. Hope this helps.

Reply to
Papa