Passat starting problem

Please help, can't figure out the starting problem on a 90 Passat.

I changed the starter, starter relay, ignition switch still to no luck

When the key is in the run position, I can start the car buy putting a screw driver across the starter to jump it, and it runs fine. But I cannot start the car with the key.

The red/black wire has continuity from the starter to the fuse panel. The red/black wire from the ignition switch has power when key is in the start position yet the power isn't getting to the red/black wire in the engine bay.

Anything else it can be? I am out of ideas.

Thanks Darren

Reply to
Darren

From memory the start relay is also part of the back-up lights. Do the BU lights work? If you jump the red/black wires at the relay can you then start the car? I think the relay is on top of the fuse panel or mounted on an additional panel WAY behind the fuse panel.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Thanks for the reply Yes, the start relay is combined with the BU lights and the BU lights do not work. I have opened the relay (removed the black cover), and by moving the switch(the metal plate that the magnetic coil uses to switch in the relay) I can start the car or operate the BU lights. Therefore I thought the relay was the problem and since tried 2 different relays from the wreckers with no luck. My only thought is if the relay is not getting itself a ground. any other thoughts? Thanks Darren

Reply to
Darren

I don't have a wiring diagram until Monday to look at but I think there is a fuse somewhere near the fuse panel. I think it's above the panel or way back near the relay. I may make it near work to grab the wiring diagram today...

Reply to
Woodchuck

Actaully the new ignition switch I didn't even install, I tested it loose with no luck, so I didnt bother putting it in. Like you said, I tried it with a screwdriver. Its a Canadian car, not sure if that makes a difference but I don't think the starter is related to the seatbelts in anyway. Or atleast I have never seen a relation prior to this problem. Thanks for the reply. Darren

Reply to
Darren

my last thought is if it is an automatic it could be the neutral safety switch.

no alarms on this vehicle or cutoff switches.......right?

dave

No alarms, everything is stock Where abouts is the neutral safety switch located? Thanks again

Reply to
Darren

NSS should be on the gear selector (shifter) under the plate that shows the selector positions. I have never looked at the Passat though, so I am not positive on this though.

dave