Passat TCM

I have a 2001 Passat GLS V6 4Motion which has developed transmission shift problems.

The drain holes in the sunroof became clogged and I ended up with water under the rear passenger seat. I fixed the drain problem and dried up the water, but in doing so I mistakenly left the ignition switch in the open position when I had the sunroof open to dry things out. The battery discharged and I had to recharge it. I also took the battery out to check the drain hole under the battery.

I think I have to take the car to the dealer to reflash the TCM. The problem seems intermittent and does not always go into the limp mode (all gear lights lite and defaults to 3rd gear only).

Has anyone had similar problems and how much can I expect the dealer to charge for resetting the TCM?

Thanks

Reply to
Frank

We had similar issues with a 1999 Eurovan Camper when the battery discharged due to a faulty fuel-pump relay. Eventually (about 400 miles) the system reprogrammed itself. We count ourselves lucky that we did not lose the fuel pump through the process as well.

In any case, we replaced the Spanish relay with one made in Morocco, and things are fine now.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw