Passat timing belt / water pump

VW dealer recommends that I get the timing belt replaced on my 2000 Passat

4Motion with 104K miles. Says it could go any time, although they can't inspect it without spending 3 hours taking the car appart. They want to charge me $1300. Should I get it done? Could I get it done cheaper elsewhere?

Also, what's the history of the water pump on these cars? Should I have it replaced since they've done all the pre-work taking the car apart to get at the timing belt?

Thanks.

Ken

Reply to
KenM

trust your dealer, the belt replacement is 105,000 and the water pump is only 20minutes additional work since you're there. My guess they are replacing the:

timing belt water pump

2 tension rollers coolant

cheaper, YES... done correctly, maybe-maybe not? it depends if they skip and reuse old parts such as the rollers.

Call another dealer in your area. And if the belt breaks it could cost you

2500-3000 $$$
Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Hmmmm.... your timing belt is about 20,000 - 30,000 miles past-due, so take the suggestion quite seriously. This is also the perfect illustrative case of "While we are in there.... " such that any ancillary parts such as tensioners, rollers and (if timing belt- driven) the water-pump should also get replaced. And the thermostat, flushing the coolant... you get the picture.

$1300.... you must be in New York City or LA or some such. Around these parts, (southeastern PA) all that runs about $800 +200/-$100 from the dealer, about half that in parts depending on what else is going on. Independent mechanics are a bit less, but not much if they are competent and actually do everything needed. This is also a job that the home-mechanic should NOT attempt unless well tooled-up, expert, and unpressured by time.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

VW advise on TBelts is now 60k or 4 years - whichever comes first. As others have said WP, Tstat etc are all on a "while you are in there" basis. Cheap insurance if you intend to keep the car.

Reply to
Iain Miller

Actually I AM in Southeastern PA, not NYC or LA. Garnet VW in Chadds Ford. I called back and found that they actually are including the water pump in the quote, so it's not as unreasonable as I thought.

The independent mechanic I've been taking my VWs and Audis to for 20 years now has given up on these cars. He says there's too many special tools and too many complicated procedures to make it worth his while, given the amount of VW business he gets. He mainly works on Porches and Mercedes. Any recommendations for mechanics in the western suburbs of Philly would be appreciated.

Ken West Chester, PA

30,000 miles past-due, so
Reply to
Ken M

Sorry, I do not know any mechanics in your area. Around here, we use Hillside Auto Repair in Jenkintown, or Elkins Park Auto Repair in EP. We have been favoring Hillside lately as they are within easy walking distance and are a bit faster than Elkins Park. But both are quite competent and reasonable.

Neither is of much help to you, though.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Well if Lost In Space is too far away.......research some repair shops here

and contact some of the vag-com owners to see if they can recommend a good mechanic/technician for you in your area
Main thing is getting it done soon and having it done right! JMHO

Reply to
One out of many daves

Thanks guys for your advice on the timing belt, water pump, etc.

In the mean time, the dealer is having trouble getting the emission codes fixed, so it can pass state emissions inspection. A few months ago I brought it in to get the engine light codes fixed, well ahead of inspection. They said my computer needed a software upgrade for $500 (I guess I'm running VW Vista now!), and the engine coolant sensor needed to be replaced for a few more hundred bucks. Of course the engine light came back on the next day. I decided to wait until the state inspection was due, figuring they could fix it for another day to get it to pass. This time they said it needed a couple of O2 sensors for $500 each. Then they called back later and said it needed a combi sensor for another $500. Then they called back today and said it needed the other combi replaced. What will they say tomorrow? How many $500 repairs are left on this car?

Ken

Reply to
KenM

Reply to
pfjw

They said my computer needed a software upgrade for $500

There was a update campaign from VW and we were doing them for FREE. Even if you had to pay the flash/upgrade talks just over an hour.

FIND ANOTHER DEALER

coolant sensor needed to be replaced for a few more hundred bucks.

$25 for the sensor and about 1 hour to replace! What's the labor rate???

FIND ANOTHER DEALER

"
Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Continuing on the saga, there is still a code coming up, and they say that the cylinder head needs to be pulled and sent out for cleaning. Cost - an additional $2200, and it will take a week . . .

However the dealer says they will eat the $2000 cost of the emissions work they have performed so far, if I pay the $2200 plus the $1300 for the timing belt, water pump, etc.

You are right, they saw me coming, but I'm in too deep to get out now.

Ken

Reply to
KenM

Wow this brings back some memories. Years ago I talked to a lady that had an '85 Audi 4000s at another shop. The "mechanic" sold her just about everything, fuel pump, tune up, ign coil, exhaust with cat conv. and I even think an used engine (almost). The car just would not run with any power. She did not want to fix it anymore since she was broke and disgusted and sold it to me. I installed a missing fuse for the fuel injection and it ran sweet.

Soooooooooooooo Are you sure that this dealership knows what they are doing??????? Is your car the only one in the shop? Which tech is working on it? The Master Tech, or one of the newer techs? check them out here

Why does the cylinder head have to be pulled? What is this code that causes that Engine light to be lit? Seems like they should fix it and not charge you any more money since they have not yet solved the initial problem. I would like to see the invoices though. Things should make sense!!

good luck and keep us informed! ;-)

JMHO later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1