Passenger Compartment air filter question for 2003 Golf

How often should you change the passenger compartment air filter on a 2003 VW Golf. These things are expensive! I was told every 3 years and also heard every 6 months and then also heard you never really have to change it at all and its a waste of money and you'll never notice the difference. ??????? thanks, TL

Reply to
Tom Levigne

Every 6 months is definitely wrong. That's unnecessarily frequent.

have owned my EV for 4 years now and 23K miles and only has been on the list to change once so far so I suspect it's probably every 40K miles (40K, 80K, etc...)

Reply to
Matt B.

If you open your owner's manual you'll see that's it's scheduled to be changed every 40,000 miles.

never really have to change it at all and its a

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer
20,000 or 40,000 depending on the car and how dirty it's in your area. At around $20 I do mine every 20k.
Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

I pulled mine out at the recommended 40k, and it was filthy -- bugs, bits of leaves, all kinds of crud besides dust and dirt, it should have been changed before that time. Found out they run $28 at NAPA, so I figured it sure couldn't do any harm to try to clean the old one first. Blasted it clean with the garden hose, dried it in the sun, popped 'er back in, and all's well. Blower runs stronger now, so it's definitely unplugged now.

Reply to
Brian Running