PhatNoise Question

I recently installed a Phatnoise in my 03 GTI. I used it for a couple of weeks before I permanently mounted it in the CD changer bracket. I had it velcroed to the carpet in the trunk. Once I mounted it into the metal brackets, I now get alternator hum. Anyone know how to take care of this? The CD changer I took out had a grounding cable on it, and the Phatnoise does not.

Thanks, for the help.

JB

Reply to
JB

This has come up on vwvortex a couple times. Try adding a grounding wire - this seems to take care of the issue.

--Andy

Reply to
Andrew

Add the grounding wire from where? I need to know which wire I need to ground.

Reply to
JB

I'm not exactly sure, but try adding a wire going from where the Phatnoise attaches to the mounting bracket to where the mounting bracket attaches to the car.

--Andy

Reply to
Andrew

There should already be a negative wire going to the Phatnoise... It needs - and + connections to turn on.... If it's shell is metal, screw is firmly to the mounting bracket, which is also metal... Make sure the mounting bracket is screwed into metal too...

Be carefull installing ground wires to the chassis, ground loops can be worse then alternator hum - a ground loop hum is constant and doesn't vary with speed.

Reply to
Rob Guenther