Pin Stripe Removal - Paint Damage?

My girlfriend has her eye on a new car at a local dealership. The price is the best we've found, but the dealership has applied adhesive pinstriping to every single car on the lot! Why the hell do some dealers do this?! I've told him we might be interested in the car if it didn't have the pin striping, and he tells me that he can have it easily removed without damaging the paint. I'm skeptical that this is true if pin stripe removal pads and/or solvent solutions are used. What do you guys think, should I just move on to the next dealership?

TIA,

Kent

Reply to
Kent

So they can add a "dealer sticker" price.

Inspect the ends of the tape with a magnifier. They may use an Exacto knife or razor blade to do the ends, and that may make tiny slices in the paint.

If the paint near the ends is not damaged by blade, I predict success. I am not speaking from experience however.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

You're not kidding. The pinstriping was included in an add-on "Appearance Package" that also included rubber molding around the fenders. Cost? $995! Of course, the dealer immediately agreed to "throw in the appearance package at no charge". They obviously use the package as a bargaining tool, and expect to offer it at no charge from the beginning. Ignoring the appearance package, this dealer's prices are still very competitive, which is why I'm putting up with this BS for now.

Reply to
Kent

An earlier car I had (Pontiac), I got rid of the ugly pinstripe by just taking a blow dryer to it. I used my nails to just kinda pick it off. My GF car has the pinstripe it seems under the clear coat, since its pretty smooth against the paint.

Reply to
Gill2003

Sometimes it can be easily removed with a heat gun and a plastic 'knife' type device. I removed the woodgrain on one of my Jeep Wagoneers that way without damage and that was when the Jeep was 16 years old too. You can always get them to either put it in the contract, that they have to remove the striping without damage, or you can get them to lower the price since they did this add-on, or you can go to another dealership. Your money = you're the boss!

JHMO but I honestly think that they can safely remove it. ;-)

later, dave (One out of many Daves)

Reply to
dave

Having just retired from the car sales business I can say that they are easy to remove. Usually a blowdrier will soften the adhesive and you can use a scraper or just peel them off with your fingernails. Its not rocket science. I've seen it done many times with no damage to the cars whatsoever. I worked at a dealership where they only put them on the used cars and NEVER charged extra for them. I've also seen dealerships charge $1500 for pinstripes and window tint. My recommendation would be to never pay for that extra stuff unless they only charge their cost. If they won't take it off then find another car that doesn't have it on.

TroyD

Reply to
Petey

It can be eaisly removed but the comment about the razor cut at the ends (every end including at each door etc.) is a valid concern. I would tell them to get another like car at the same price (since it's new) or go somewhere else. BTW I've done body & paint for over 30 years... ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver