Polo Gearbox grumbling

Our 97 manual (1600) polo has recently developed gearbox bearing noises - the sort that you just know are going to go from "slight" to "we need to fit a more powerful radio in this thing"

My independent mechanic thinks the car is toast - cost more to fix than its worth, he pointed to another one in the workshop and said that it's gearbox had done the same thing and he was stripping the car for parts.

What do the mages think? Seems a shame - Km's 110,000 otherwise very tidy.

Dave (no not that one)

Reply to
DC

Jim Behning

Hi Jim - not sure really. Being somewhat time poor I would end up paying someone else to change out / repair the box.....

Reply to
DC

Reply to
johngdole

No "mage" here, but I once had a 1969 Westie - many, many moons ago - that developed a very loud gearbox - sounded like glass-in-a-blender at about 90,000 miles. So, I drained the fluid (it was not low, by the way) - good bit of metallic sludge, rinsed it with kerosene several times - put in 80% hyploid oil, 20% moly-disulphide paste (made for trannies, not the bearing-grease stuff) and a magnetic drain plug. It cost me something like $20 at the time for the stuff and $5 for the magnetic plug. But it worked and a bunch cheaper than even a junkyard tranny.

Sold it ~50,000 miles later still running fine. Not kitten-quiet by any means, but certainly below Heavy-Metal on the 100-watt stereo level.

NOTE: It never leaked fluid.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw