possible to replace windshield on '84 rabbit by yourself?

is it possible/reasonable to replace the windshield of a '84 (diesel) rabbit by yourself? none of the books i have (haynes, bentley, sealey) even mention the windshield at all. is it difficult?

Reply to
Reid Fleming

You can do it. I watched the guy do it on my MK2 Golf. No special tools. It looked pretty simple. Chiseled out the seal and popped out the windshield. He used a new seal (gasket). You'll probably want to order that with the glass in case you tear the old one. He used some kind of caulk on the inside. Here's a link to a video. It's not a Rabbit, but it gives you an idea of the process.

Ears

It is glued in and the guy used a new trim piece when my Rabbit windshield was replaced. Note that glue is part of the safety system of a car. On cars with air bags it is even more important as the air bag braces against the windshield. There have been exposes on TV about improper windshield replacement and the windshields blowing out when the airbag deploys.

Note that ideally >You can do it. I watched the guy do it on my MK2 Golf. No special

Reply to
Jim Behning

It's very easy. They are not glued so just kick out the old one and pop in the new one using a piece of electrical wire in the seal to pull it in. I always lube the seal with some wax oil which make it easier and at the same time protects against corrosion...

SFC

Reply to
SFC

Anything is possible but if you have no experience, leave it to an expert.

Reply to
SnoBrdr

If it is a gasketed style window (not glued in) there is no reason a motivated DIYer (with a helper) can't knock this out.

In fact, I'd bet that the DIYer will do a better job; he'll repaint the lip if necessary (rust) before installing the windshield; the pro will be trying to get out of your driveway and to his next call.

Now if it's glued in... yeah, that's probably a pro job. I still busted the windshield out of my '89 GTI and painted (actually POR-15'd) the lip myself *then* called the pro to come replace it, because I didn't want it to leak.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

It was not a gasket install on my 84. It was glued in with a bit of new trim.

Reply to
Jim Behning

Unless you have the sill and the parts and materials, I suggest you leave it to the pros.

They make it look easy, but it is not going to be that easy for you. They have the materials and tools, which you can buy if you know what to buy, and you need the glass. Now add up the tools and glass, and I suspect you will find you can get the glass replaced for less.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

Don't know about a 84, but new ones have a special glue that needs to be heated and applied to clean (oil- and fingerprint-free glass). It's a part of many cars' structural strength. And you don't close the windows and slam the door shut before "drive-away" time. I'd leave it to a local authorized PPG replacement glass shop. PPG makes good stuff:

johngdole