Power Box = nice power but SMOKE - could it be the fuel I use?

Hello Everyone.

I just installed a "power box" tuning kit today. The extra boost of power you get all over the RPM band is so nice... That constant acceleration we TDI'ers enjoy is amplified nicely, especially above 3000 rpm in 2nd or 3rd gear (haven't been able to push it that hard in 4th yet - 4 speed auto... it just kicks down to third when I call for the added power in overdrive)...

But there's bad news, something I feared would happen - my car SMOKES like an old A2 style turbodiesel with a good amount of KMs on it. Nice thick clouds of grey/black smoke under hard acceleration... especially from

3500-4000+ rpm - IE where my tranny puts the revs when it downshifts... At less then this it still smokes. I have an K&N filter so air shouldn't be too much of a problem... maybe I should clean it?

Does anyone else have experience with the Powerbox... Could it be the diesel fuel i'm running in my car?

Reply to
Rob Guenther

What MAF do you have in it? Have you been to

?

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

I have the VW MAF, this is the replacement for my original which kicked the bucket last year... Do I need to change my MAF sensor to something that allows for more air.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

This is speculation only on my part, I don't know the details of the Power Box. To limit emissions, the ECU on diesel engines meters the fuel supply to stay at or below stoichiometric air / fuel ratio. On old diesels, this was done with a mechanical stop at the injectors, and a common trick was to tweak this stop to increase max. power. Could it be that the power box does the same thing, e.g. by modifying the signal from the MAF so that the ECU believes more air is entering than what is the case? If so, could it be that your engine is running way too rich when you open it up? This will cause a cloud of black smoke. Does the power box have any adjustments or settings?

Reply to
Randolph

No adjustments... it does exactly what you said, makes the car run rich... This boosts power more and more until the car just starts to smoke... when you hit smoke, apparantly no extra power is made - according to TDICLUB forums.

Reply to
Rob Guenther