Power steering pump noise- 85 Vanagon camper

I have got t LOT of noise coming from the power steering pump on my camper. The steering doesn't seem really hard, but lots of noise from the pump. I tried tightening the belt as much as I could, but that didn't do anything. Does that probably mean that the pump is bad? I just checked out prices at Bus Depot- $270 plus $60 core. Are they easy to rebuild? Could it be something besides the pump?

Reply to
Ed

Loosen the belt quick! Not only could it be causing your pump noise but it will kill your water pump real quick! Don't ask how I know. If vanagon belts don't chirp when starting, they are too tight.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Is the fluid low?

Reply to
Woodchuck

Fluid is fine. Have only had van a few weeks. First only made noise when making slow, hard turn out of driveway. A few hundred miles later, noisy all the time, worst at show hard turns. Same regardless of belt tightness.

Reply to
Ed