Problem starting A3 Jetta - Replacing distributor cap, etc.

Good day - I've searched around to address one of the problems I'm having with my '95 Jetta A3. Car has approx 95,000miles. I've owned it since '99 and have never replaced anything related to ignition other than spark plugs (20,000 miles ago).

Problem: Starting, usually after a rainy night.

Found a few other threads and all suggested plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, and coil wire (?). Assuming this is a logical step, should I also install new spark plugs?

Also saw a couple of threads that talked about recall on the coil wire. Since I bought the car used in '99 should I contact dealer about recall or was this replaced (no service records from previous owner) before I purchased? Or just purchase a new one? what exactly is a 'coil wire' and does anyone have a part number?

I have the large red Bentley service manual. I've never done any of this so any suggestions welcome. Special tools? Suggestions on parts (aftermarket brands, dealer) other than OEM from VW dealer? I'm in Carlsbad, northern San Diego. Any dealers I should avoid?

Are there any other maintenace type repairs I should handle while replacing distributor cap, etc? Is this straightforward?

Last but not least, every time I come out to research a problem here it seems like I find things I should be doing routinely to the jetta that isn't listed in the Bentley of VW manuals. My jetta has 95K mile and the gf has 115K on her '94. No preventative maintenance to either car other than stuff listed in Bentley.

What other preventative maintenance actvities are there for the A3 jetta and what is the suggested frequency?

Thanks for all the help. Please email in addition to posting b/c it take several hours for me to see anything on google. How can I speed this up?

maurice snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Maurice

Any help appreciated. Anyone????

Reply to
Maurice

Yes.

I think the "coil wire" is the ignition coil, which is actually a transformer, it "transforms" low voltage pulses into high voltage pulses to fires your spark plugs. VW builds crappy ignition systems and they have had lots of recalls for their ignition coils.

No special tools required, perhaps some imagination.

Well if you are feeling up to it, why not replace the timing chain? I believe you'll find those procedures in your Bentley manual too!

See my above recommendation about the timing chain.

Why don't you try using a newsgroup reader instead of just searching for your posts on Google? That will speed things up considerably.

Reply to
Bob F.

Yep. Might as well. You're 90% there already!

Be aware the OEM wires can be a real pain to get loose since the metal shield on the plug boots "clip" onto the plugs. The VR6s had a plastic tool snapped onto the hood prop that slipped over the wire and boot to hook onto tabs on the wire so you could pull them off. Most don't have it by now. HAD to use it on the VR6s since you couldn't see the boots to try to pry them off like some had success with on the 2.0l engines. After trying to find a "made" tool in the aftermath of breaking my wires trying to remove them incorrectly, I made this tool.

Do NOT pull on the wires or top of the boots. You're likely to really mess it up if you apply much force at all. At least that was my experience. VW took the "pull knob" off the top of the plug boots after '95, I assume because I wasn't the only one to find this out...

On the A4's, that's right. There was a recall or TSB on the coil wire for some A3's.

I think the VR6s had an "electronic distributor" since they have a coil pack, so there'd be no coil wire there. Never a campaign on them that I 'recall', but lots of problems with them cracking, letting water in, etc. I've got a repost of one of the netizens (Chris) repair technique here:

'course, if it's a 4 cylinder, the belt probably got replaced about 30-

40kmiles ago, so it's due for inspection, but not replacement. That's typically at ~60kmiles, even tho' VWoA doesn't specifiy an interval.

Good luck!

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

Actually, it was 1 recall for ignition coils, and Bosch/Bremi make the ignition systems, not VW.

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Thanks for the responses.

I've done the plugs before so I have the plastic tool. Still a pain in the ass. Don't remember exactly when the timing belt was replaced but it was around 60-65K on the odometer. 97K now.

I'll look in Bentley for the ignition coil and contact the dealer about OEM replacements. No mods to the car so is there a reason to upgrade plug wires, etc? I put in Bosch Platinum about 20K miles ago, but maybe I'll replace them. Only about $10 from Kragen.

Thanks again for the info. If there is anything else I should do while I am under the hood, let me know.

maurice

Reply to
Maurice

Don't think you ever said. 2.0l or VR6?

Check the fluids. Examine the hoses. Change the air filter. Charge the A/C. Fill up the battery. Clean the battery terminals. Check the fan belt. (yes, there IS a fan belt!) Look for leaks. Check the engine/tranny mounts. Look for broken or disonnected wires. Clean up a bit in there, it's a mess... Got enough for the weekend now?

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

Lots of guessing on this thread. eh? It's like taking a shot gun and stuffing magic pixie dust into the barrels and shooting the motor.

If you had your belt done at 60K you should be okay there. Someone probably thinks your belt tooth jumped. LOL!

Replace the cap and rotor if that never was done.

Now go to the intake and check your ribbed intake hose by taking it off the engine Throttle body and MAF. You might have a crack in the rib letting in extra air. Replace the hose is around $70 but worth it "AFTER" you clean the TB with TB cleaner. Make sure the TB is clean and works properly. If the hose is good. Clean the hose with TB cleaner and reinstall.

You can also check your timing with a timing light to see if your belt is not off by one tooth.

My 94 A3 2.0L Jetta has almost 200K miles on it and runs great. I cruise between

85 and 110+ all the time with a TT SS exhaust, HR and Bilsteins, upgraded brakes, Chip, Redline in tranny, Mobil1 synth, V1 detector. The G12 coolant system is tight with new rad, flanges, pump, stat. Clear title, no payments for 9 years now. This is a highway cruiser. No overheating like the larger engines. VR6s run HOT and that's no fun when they get old. Heat makes things around the engine get old fast, especially in a small VW engine compartment.

To compliment my VW, I recently bought a used Jeep Sahara YJ with 190K miles on it "CHEAP". Did my tune up and fixed all the little things. Changed all the fluids in the axles, TC, Tranny, motor. Lots of fun and a great winter beater 4x4 baby!!!. Hard Top, with the Sahara package and it's also a 1994 model with an I6 engine that gets 20-23 MPG. The inline 6 is HARD to KILL unlike the V6s. I'll be putting another 100K on this and have fun off the road too. GeoCaching anyone?

Peter Parker

Good advice on the fluids and don't forget the TB and TB hose cleaning/replacin.

Still have the 95? LOL! Great! How many miles are you up too now? I have 183K now and coming up on 200K fast without any worries.

My 94 2.0L is still tight and dry. Got a used Jeep to compliment each other when I do parts runs when they are in my garage.

94 and 95 2.0L Jetta's can be bought now cheap under $2K or BO. There are still ones out there under 100K miles. Incredulous...

I'm tempted on getting another one for that price if it's in good condition.

Reply to
Peter Parker

It's up to about 85-90kmiles. The mileage slowed down a bunch when it went from grocery getter to commuter. Plus it has to compete with the motorcycle for commuting duties most of the year.

It still has one piece of moving glass broken and one messing up the alarm. They just move around as I fix them. (sunroof is broken, lr window arms the alarm anytime it's used) POS VW windows.

Need to get out and do the rear shocks on it, etc, etc. Put off some stuff when it was hot in the summer, and now that it's liveable, time to catch up...

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

Ah, you chose a motorcycle for a second vehicle and I chose a Jeep. I also have a motorcycle but PA/NJ is not as friendly to motorcycles due to climate and volume compared to AZ. Still it's a good choice in AZ where it's nice and toasty.

The sun beating down on vehicles in AZ really can do that. At least you don't have any rust issues there. :)

I did my whole suspension and I can say without holding back that a sport suspension really improves the 2.0L Jetta. Other heavier engines just are not a balanced with this frame and body.

Reply to
Peter Parker

In your opinion, is the A3 generation alot more stable than the A2? Is it a tighter vehicle?

The A2s have been acclaimed for their handling, but I like the A3's size and feature content compared to the A2's.

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

The sunroof died essentially from that rubber piece on the hook that holds it up a bit degrading, and the cable finally breaking. I found out the hook is now available separately, AFTER it broke...

I've had windows break from wiring harnesses breaking, regulators breaking, but no motors so far . The regulator I replaced I checked over to see if I could salvage anything. Nope. It was all crapped out. Failure mode was one of the ends of the cables failed, jamming the gear that drives the regulator.

So'd you do just the dampers, or also springs, braces, bushings, etc, etc...

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

I'll try to hit everything.

'95 GLS 2.0

97K miles No past maintenance but I've never changed distrib cap or rotor. TB? Throttle body? MAF? Fill up the battery?

Unless someone says differently, probably getting parts from parts4vws.com OEM Distrib cap, rotor. Eurosport Black MK3 2.0 8V plug wires.

Going to wait on ignition coil until I check other things suggested.

Things I'll be back for soon: Have the sunroof issue on '94 GL and my '95. Problems with my power windows. Seem to make popping sound when lowered. Acceleration problems (bogging down)in when top drive gear, but accelerates fine if it downshifts (over active transmission)

Thanks again for the help maurice

Reply to
Maurice

My moonroof still works but when I close it I notice it being a little out of alignment because of a closing noise but it's been doing that since I had the car at 7500 miles.

Manual windows for me and forever baby. :) Well my 89 16V GTI has power windows but that car just sits in the garage. :-) I have no idea when I will continue to work on it since I have been busy just working. :)

I did the springs, upper strut bearings, shocks and upper tower brace. No bushings so far. I did the front poly lower motor mount. That helps with take offs. IMHO the 2.0L is a far better balanced A3 Jetta than one with a VR6. The VR6 just makes the Jetta nose heavy IMO...

Reply to
Peter Parker