Problems with 83 rabbit GTI

I've been having some really strange problems with my 83 GTI with just over 100k on it (100762 actually). Its been behaving very strangely and I was wondering if you all might have any ideas as to what the problem is. I'll be driving down the road and suddenly a buzzing noise comes from the dash and the engine dies. When I turn the ignition switch on after that the buzzing continues and my tach jumps to about

4k rpms (without the starter ever being engaged) then drops back down. For some reason my dash temp gauge and fuel gauge dont work while the buzzer is on. If I turn the headlights or even just the foglights on the buzzing stops but the car still wont start. As soon as I turn the lights back off the buzzing starts again. While this buzzer is going the engine will turn over without any problem, its just either getting no fuel or no spark. After the buzzing stops (usually about 15 min with the key off) the car will eventually start, but die again if i push in the brake pedal. I would really appreciate any advise you can offer as I am thoroughly stumped by this problem. I've checked the fuel pressure accumulator and found no leaks-- for a while it just wouldnt start (turn over but no combustion) If anyone has any suggestions/ diagnosis I'd be much obliged Kelly
Reply to
Kelly

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Reply to
Kelly

Sorry but I sold my 84 a few months ago. Look at page 34 Fuel and Exhaust Systems figure 7-8 which looks closer to what I remember.

Frakenbunny would be a huge pa>Checked out my bentley manual today- the picture they have of my

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

May be the oil pressure warning buzzer sounding due to a bad oil pressure sensor or the pressure warning relay itself may be shot. '83 GTIs get their fuel pump relay trigger voltage via the oil pressure warning circuit ... designed this way to kill the engine if you lose oil pressure.

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

You're correct, I was reading the diagram incorrectly - they both pick up voltage from the same point (ignition coil terminal 1) and are tied together there.

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer