Pulling steering wheel adapter :-((((

Is there a special tool for pulling the adapter of the steering wheel column? Doe's something have to go down the column to release at the same time the puller is pulling? Any help please as I am trying to change the ignition switch and this is the last item in the way!! I don't fancy driving with a vice grip "."

Reply to
Theresa

There is a tool just for this (just did this job myself today on a Cabrio), the one we use at our shop is Kukko 204/2.

With that, you can make the arms of the puller grip the adapter sleeve tight as 4377. This has been the best way by far for me to remove those sleeves and it also causes the least amout of damage.

Some people will use a zip gun to pound them off and say that is a faster way, then they have to go over to the bench grinder and clean up all the rised burs they just made (time lost).

Reply to
Pencilneck

I use this LARGE BEARING SEPARATOR

this PULLER
no damage

I use these items because I already had them. lol The setup is clumsy looking.....the bolts will need nuts and wide washers and will have to fit into the gaps of the jaws of the LARGE BEARING SEPARATOR but it works well. ;-)

dave

Did the job last weekend. Heres what I did. Had a very old two arm gear puller - you can borrow one from any Autozone. The lips on the hub are very small and the puller will slip off when you apply pressure. Take a large set of Visegrips and LIGHTLY clamp it to the hub. Left no marks to the spline adapter and caused no damage. Attach the two arm puller's arms behind the Visegrip and slowly start turning - pulled off like a charm. Next remove the bolt that attaches the lock to the steering column. The bolt is a shear bolt that may be finger tight if you are lucky otherwise you are going to have to drill it or figure a way to undo it - and you are going to need a new one. Pull off the lock and remove the small screw at the base to remove the switch. Remove it and pop the new one on. Replace and use the the steering wheel hex nut to drive the spline adapter back on the steering column. Whole job took about 30 minutes and it did solve many of my phantom electrical problems with my radio and starting problems. Very easy and some of the tips here are in

- especially about how to remove the spline adapter.

Reply to
S Timinski