Quantum Windsheild Wipers

I have an 86.5 Quantum. I am interested in any ideas that all of you might be able to share about the windshield wipers.

Problem 1-- The intermittent setting has a mind of it's own. When set to the intermittent setting the wipers will run intermittently than gradually the stop position will start to creep up the windshield until they stop about an inch 1/2 higher than the bottom of the windshield. Then they will run as if they are on low speed (continuous motion) for about 15 passes or so then they will go back to intermittent. The whole cycle will repeat with varying amounts of continuous passes between intermittent passes. Is there a sensor that can be replaced? It seems as though the system cannot sense the stop and start position. Another symptom -- When the windshield wipers are turned off they will occasionally stop in whatever position they happen to be in when the switch was moved to the off position. Then they may or may not slowly creep down to the bottom of the windshield on their own. Sometimes I have to manually turn the switch off when they are at the bottom of the windshield.

Problem 2 -- The windshield wipers chatter all of the time. They chatter at all speeds and at all volumes of liquid. I have replaced the blades with all varieties from generic to $$$Bosch. ANy suggestions?

Reply to
I'm a Movie

Have you replaced the entire blade or just the rubber and not the frame?

Last time I bought wipers for my GTI they were Trico (I think) and called "Exact Fit" and instead of coming with a variety of fasteners like most do, they came with just one...the specific type for my car and it fit nice and tight. Part of the chattering issue I had was that the universal fittings on many wipers were too loose and the blade was just too jiggly.

Given all of your other wiper problems, I wonder if your motor also is just dying and getting weak so it has trouble powering the wipers smoothly across any sticky spots on the window.

Reply to
Matt B.