Quasi OEM "Bosch" Oil Filters

Hi,

I just recieved a dozen Bosch 72211 Oil Filters for our A2 and A3's from AutoPartsWarehouse.

They don't apparently have check valves. When you look into the Mann W719/5's I have, you see a spring mechanism. The Bosch filters you can see clean and clear to the end of the filter. They are black filters with no real printing, they have a blend-in black sticker and are Made in USA.

It seems pretty clear they don't have check valves. They say OE fit. Sure, great. I guess I'll be trying to return them.

I sure don't want to use these things during the winter, and I presume that the check valves were invented for a reason.

What say all?

Irv

Reply to
IR

They stock those at Auto Zone, and I was not impressed with their construction at all when I checked them out. The name Bosch just doesn't mean what it used to -- apparently, they're licensing the name out to some companies that will put it on substandard products. Looking at the consensus opinion on the web, it looked to me like Mobil 1 filters were widely admired, and when I inspected them in person, found that they are definitely a well-made filter. That's what I've been using for the past couple of years. They're made by Champion, but to a higher spec than Champion's own brand.

The spring mechanism you can see inside some filters is the bypass, not the check valve. If the filter element becomes clogged and the internal pressure of the filter becomes too great, that spring allows the oil to bypass the element so oil flow is maintained. The check valve is the rubber flap you see in the smaller holes that surround the big center hole. It keeps the oil in the filter from draining out when the engine's not running, so there's some in the lines immediately on start-up.

Reply to
Brian Running

Well that's interesting. The Bosch filters i got have a rubber ring running around under the ring of holes, just no bypass apparently.

My Mann filters W719/5 have the bypass apparently, but the surrounding holes reveal no rubber, but metal immediately underneath... presumably the check valve is hidden.

So from what I can tell the Bosch filters would be OK for my cars that have been on synthetic for years, but I'll want the bypass for the 96 that still carries it's first synthetic.

I'm supposed the receive a return # for the Bosch filters anytime and have already ordered the specific Mann filter i've been using from cpffilters.com, which has hundreds of Mann filters, at least, I just looked at the W's. If I keep all of these filters I'll have

24, or four years worth at my 6 month interval.

Gee, all I wanted was 2 years worth.

IR

Reply to
IR

I have used OEM, Fram, AC, Autolite, Bosch and maybe a few moreover the past

30 years and never had a oil filter cause issues on my VW's... and other cars too. The secret, change the oil regularly like every 5000miles or once per year.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck