Question about Cabriolet... batter light

The car seems to be driving well except when I hit the 60 mile per hour mark. The battery light flickers. I've also noticed the light comes on for a moment when I'm about to shift into a higher gear..basically when the engine is at a high rev point. Any suggestions?

Chamberlin

Reply to
Chamberlin

worn alternator brushes.

Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Braune

Maybe a loose belt? Should be 2-3 mm deflection.

Reply to
Darryl

Is it hard to clean the bruishes? I used to do it all the time in my aircooled engines, but it's got to be significantly more difficult in this car. I have the Bently book. I'll take a look. I've found that I rarely can pin point anything reading that thing. It's way over my head.... at least with watercooled engines.

Reply to
Brian

Reply to
Darryl

My guesses, in the order of being most likely:

- worn or loose belt(s) (buy an extra set to keep in the car in case you get stranded)

- worn brushes (replace w/ new module, keep the old one in the glove box in case you get stranded)

- worn bearing(s) in altenator, usually the rear. When you've got the belt off grab the pulley/shaft and make sure both ends are tight (no slop side-to-side).

I've lived thru all 3.

Tim Wohlford

89 El Mexicano Golf, 246,000 miles

Reply to