Question: Regarding wheel offset and WTB: 1995 Jetta III steel wheel

Hello- My wife has a bent front rim on her 1995 Jetta III. She has the 14" steel wheels and as I call around to salvage yards, they ask me: "Does it have a 43mm or 45mm offset?" Now I have a digital caliper and can measure 43/45mm, but I am not sure where to take the measurement.... Any help???

Additionally, if someone has upgraded to nice alloy/chrome rims and has a spare steel wheel sitting around that they know fits a '95 Jetta III, please contact me at snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net thanks

Tim Richter

Reply to
Timothy J. Richter

Just pull one off and see what it's stamped on the backside i.e. "ET43" or "ET45"

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Check if it is stamped on the rim as Nate suggested. Otherwise you can get two straight edges, place one across a good rim on the inside, one on the outside. They should both rest against the metal of the rim, not the tire. Then measure the distance between the two straight edges. This will be the total rim width. Divide by two and write down.

Then with a straight edge across the rim on the inside, measure the distance between the straight edge and the surface of the rim that mates with the rotor / hub. The offset is the difference between this last measurement and half the rim width.

"Timothy J. Richter" wrote:

Reply to
Randolph

Yeah but honestly 3mm is not going to make a difference on one of these cars I would just get whatever ones they have preferably the 43's (more room) but we're talking about 3 pennies width of difference.

Reply to
JustANGR

Tell them you have both and ask which one do they have! Some yards ask questions like that and then have neither! grrrr.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1