R 32

in the past, vw has had several special models of the basic gti including the recent 20th anniversary edition.... today i had a look/drive of the just released usa edition of the 32....it's a winner! a hit! a homerun! if you have 30 grand [us] to plunk down on a new car.....run to your local vw dealer and get in line! it will be a sold out production run as soon as the word gets out. this thing comes out of the box making a statement...it's bad assed from the time you lay eyes on it...the thing is the way every golf gti should be.....fire it up...and get everybody in front out of your way....the throaty...exhaust note along with the front spoiler blacked out make a statement....if i owned an acura or a souped up honda, i'd be doing a google search tonight looking for more tricked up stuff to add to my "no longer the big dog" vanilla car.

do i sound enthusastic? you bet! and we never even talked about the brakes and the slick 6 speed or that motor that just pulls and keeps on pulling! you'll run out of road before you run out of gear!!! regards

Reply to
euro930

It's $50,680 here in the UK at the current exchange rate, its been over here a while. Nothing special.

Reply to
Joe

Ha ha ha,

It's a good one. Run people, run they are ging fast there is a shortage !!! They are taking orders for 8K over MSRP !!! Be quick !!! It's your last chance.

Now that I had a laugh of my life....

Its going to be just another 337 or 20th... go fast for 2 first months and the leftovers will be sitting on the lots 2 years from now.

With VW reputation for reliability - the lack of it that is. I wish them luck peddling the 30K Golf.

In this price range there is no shortage of great cars to choose from.

Reply to
Alex

That is practically free. It costs $ 102,000 here in Norway at the current exchange rate. Nice car, though.

Espen

86 Golf GTI 2.0
Reply to
gshok

LOL...um...please point me in the direction of a 337 on a car lot...in our local "group" there are two 337's///those are SEXY cars...

As far as many other cars out there for compairible $$$....Are you a VW enthu? if you are...would you go buy an STi, or Evo, or say....350Z? Not likely...

If your predictions are correct, then am I correct in saying you'll have no problem buying a couple R32's ina few months when they are below invoice?

Again...not likely...The STi and Evo8 sell like mad around here...and there are more VW fans around here than we know what to do with....I see the R32's selling like a pair of Brittneys underwear... NICK

--------------------------------------------- Ha ha ha,

It's a good one. Run people, run they are ging fast there is a shortage !!! They are taking orders for 8K over MSRP !!! Be quick !!! It's your last chance.

Now that I had a laugh of my life....

Its going to be just another 337 or 20th... go fast for 2 first months and the leftovers will be sitting on the lots 2 years from now.

With VW reputation for reliability - the lack of it that is. I wish them luck peddling the 30K Golf.

In this price range there is no shortage of great cars to choose from.

Reply to
Nein H20 VWs

oh hi, btw your volvo's are damn annoying with their lights always staying on over here.

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
Randolph

Volvo's are from Sweden not Norway, and running the lights all the time is usefull there, and in some parts of Canada during the winter. It's a safety feature, believe it or not (as there is some controvery)... Every car in Canada must be equiped with front DTRLs, either reduced main beam, amber lights, mini fog lights, or full intensity main beams.... No one I know is bothered by them, possibly because we have grown used to it, I find a few people will say "ohh look at that asshole, driving around with no lights on" before they will comment on their eyes hurting from headlights... And another thing, the Euro cars don't have bad beam patterns, it's the American cars and Japanese cars that seem to throw light aimlessly up into the air and into my eyes... Volvo's are quite pleasant to look at when their lights are on, Golfs are probably one of the best tho, all you see is two round lights, not too many rays coming off them... Good headlamp design.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Plus the R32 wasn't even meant to come to America, and it was built as an enthusiast car for VW enthusiats, not really to lure people away from the Evo and the STI.... They are faster cars, tho the Golf is recognized to be much easier to live with.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Good car, but three problems:

- 2-doors, only

- ground effects is for 5th-graders and those who remained there

- clearance not high enough for many US roads/ neighborhoods

Otherwise, I would buy one. As I have said here before, sell a Jetta wagon with the same general engine/drivetrain features, if you must, VWoA, but do it!

- D.

Reply to
TransFixed

Wish we got 5-door models like overseas (they have 3-and-5 doors in europe).

It is slightly higher already (compared to the Euro model).

Reply to
Matt B.

Hear, hear. At least they should offer the US Golf with the 1.8T, ferchrissake. To only offer it with the 2.0 and the TDI is just embarrassing.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Me, too. If there had been a Golf 1.8T in 2002 when I bought my Passat, I would've bought that instead.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Well that, you shouldn't have mentioned. Are you saying VWoA's model strategy worked in making you buy a more expensive car?

Joking aside, it is a shame that no AWD 5-door Golfs nor AWD Jetta Wagons with a decent engine have been available in the US. There are many of us who don't buy Passats or A4s instead, or already have those as a primary vehicle. (The generally accepted conspiracy theory is that the lack of lower-end AWD model offerings makes the market more lucrative for VW). I like the A4 wagon, but many places I go to I would worry about its clearance. What is lacking is a more utilitarian, yet nicely powered, AWD model.

Even Foresters, Legacies and Outbacks have ~250hp these days. Right now, it looks like VW not only missed the AWD trend in the US (although they were in perfect position to respond), but also the hp race (although they have competitive engines).

-D.

Reply to
TransFixed

I think the horsepower race is almost disgusting.... Most cars are far too overpowered, I think VW's are right where a car should be. Does a midsize, overweight, front wheel drive family car need something like 220-280!!! HP??? Hell no.... they claim it's all to improve safety of passing a truck on the highway.... Well, let me tell you I have never had a problem with my

1991, 100hp Golf, or my 1999.5, 90hp TDI.... My dad has a 201hp Volvo from 1993 (VERY powerful for the time...) I find that it is almost on the verge of being overpowed in certain situations, it doesn't have the torque curve of a variably timed engine to help low end power, but once as the engine hits 4000rpm.... it just starts to rocket (I think it has 2 stage Valve timing, like the VTEC system)

I mean, I have never seen any> > Rob Guenther wrote:

Reply to
Rob Guenther