R32

I will be test driving a R32 this weekend. I own and drive a 02 vr6 gti. The R32 is approximately 10K more than I paid for my 02. Can there really be a ten thousand dollar difference between the 2 cars?

Reply to
Rakblight2

Well...quattro typically adds 3500-4000 cdn bucks onto the price of an Audi. So to go from FWD to 4-Motion might conceivably be worth that much.

Bigger motor might be worth 500 bucks.

Shipping a car from Germany (as opposed to a Mexican/Brazilian dub)....I dunno, 2000 bucks? No idea on this one.

So as for the extra 4-5k or so? Geek appeal?

Maybe it's because it's heavier. There you go, 5000 dollars worth of extra material. All accounted for. :-)

BTW, don't let my tounge-in-cheekiness bother you...I'm actually jealous as all hell. Canada won't get any R32's due to bumper restrictions. That and I couldn't afford it even if we could get 'em :-)

Reply to
Andre Levac

im jealous.

yeah like he said, FWD to 4-motion. your getting a 24v VR6 and not a 12v. you could also be paying for the coolness of owning an R32.

Reply to
tyler

my 02 vr6 is 24 valves...not 12

Reply to
Rakblight2

Yeah, but IIRC it's only 2.8 liters, not 3.2.

Reply to
Brandon Sommerville

I don't think this is a factor. Jetta wagons were, and maybe still are, shipped from Germany, yet the differecne in price vs. sedan (from MExico) is minor.

Reply to
Tony Bad

Yes, especially when you purchase a limited production car!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Bigger displacement though. More horses. More torque.

Reply to
Andre Levac

That does really suck. Even if VW didn't want to design different bumpers to meet Canadian regulations, they could have at least shipped the Canadian ones with 25AE/GTI/Golf bumpers and for the back just created a different snap-on rear valence with dual exhaust cutouts.

They already went through the trouble of putting on different bumpers (or at least different bumper covers) for the US because of the side marker lamp in front and the US-sized plate opening in the back. You'd think as long as they were making those mods they would have dreamed up a R32 bumper to meet both US and CDN standards.

Stupid VWoA.

Reply to
Matt B.

Yes, It's not only a different engine and 4WD. It's a different car You get: 18" wheels, Konig-seats, special body-kit, different brakes, DSG-gearbox (option), etc, etc. It's worth the 10k plus. I've worked at a VW-dealer and drove a lot of Golfs including V6 4Motion and R32. It's the only Golf Mk4 I like (read: love). It doesn't feel as heavy as all the other Golfs do. Feels a bit like my 1982 (160 Bhp, 850 kg), minus the stiff ride. Succes and lots of fun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

René Golf GT 1.8 16v 1982 Scirocco GT 1.6 1981(just sold) Vento GT 2.0 1994 in love with R32

Reply to
"René G.

whoops. im not up to date on all of my vw engines. but yeah.

Reply to
tyler

I don't think US R32 has DSG option (I read that, but don't know if true).

Reply to
93 Fox

That's correct, there's no DSG avaliable on North American R32s. The big question here is what VW/Audi intends to do with that tranny in the coming 2 years. According to what I've read, it can't take more than 240 Ft. Lbs. of troque, only 4 more than what a stock R32 makes (which means that tuning is essentially impossible with the DSG). The running rumor is that VW will be introducing a new 3.6 VR6 for the MKV based R32, which will probably produce in excess of 300Hp and easily eclipse the DSG's maximum torque rating.

Reply to
Steve Grauman