Radiator question

The stem on the left side of the radiator that connects a hose to the over flow tank, has broke. Can the stem be replaced or do I have to get a new radiator?

Reply to
Eric

Yep & maybe! Now if we knew what year and car you owned then my answer maybe different.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Sorry, the car is a 1992 Cabriolet.

Reply to
Eric

"Eric" wrote

Call a couple of radiator shops and ask if they can repair it and how much.

Other than a new one, a cheap approach would be to pull one out of one of the pull-it-yourself auto wrecker yards. The yard near me has a few VW radiators I am sure others do too. Use caution in a case like this at these yards as many times they are cheap but 'as is' -look for signs of radiator failure.

Keep the thermo-switch in it for spare if you pull one. I have had great luck with these yards, recently pulling a blower motor for 10 dollars that cost retail around 160. Like-new speedo cable with gear for 5 dollars. They usually don't know the value of VW parts - some do - naturally of course - in my yard near me I could pull a head for 20 or 30 bucks, a Sanyo compressor for 15. They charged me 5 dollars for complete brake lines that I pulled off. Love saving money!!! I have found used parts have worked wonderfully.

Harry

Reply to
Harry

Easy fix. Plastic part, right? Been there; done that. Get a brass "nipple" at the hardware store. It'll have a pipe thread on one end, nipple for a hose on the other. If you don't have one, also pickup a tap the same size. Drill the radiator, tap it, *carefully* thread in the nipple - sealing ithe threads with two-part epoxy glue. Now the thing about pipe threads is that they are *tapered*. This means if you tighten it you'll crack the plastic tank - so DON'T TIGHTEN IT. Just

*barely* snug by hand or with a deepwell socket on screwdriver-type handle. The epoxy will seal it (be sure to let it dry completely). HTH, ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

There is no problem that cannot be solved with the *right application* of high explosives.

Reply to
ThaDriver