Radiator Shroud Air Duct Covers

My car is an '88 Cabbie with A/C and auto transmission. The two air duct covers, one above the other on the passenger side of the radiator fan and mounted on the radiator shroud, are badly worn and are about to fall off.

What are these duct covers used for? They look like 6 inch square flexible flaps. Can they be removed and discarded without any adverse effects?

Thanks.

Reply to
Papa

if you mean the ones on the radiator back side near the electric fan... then the answer is NO. If missing the electric fan can't pull all the air through the radiator.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Yes, those are the ones. Thanks. I'll repair or replace them.

Reply to
Papa

Reply to
none2u

Fabricated replacements of these from sheet aluminum. Used the old, worn out asphalt based stuff for a template. Working now for 8 years, no sign of wear. 88 Fox GL wagon.

Used same material for replacement of the plastic piece of the air intake landing area below the wipers.

Reply to
Jonny