radio anti-theft code

Hi,

I purchased an 86 golf, which came with a vw factory radio. Works fine.

Also got the Bentley book for it, which it explains how to re-set the radio's anti-theft code.

Problem is, how do I find out what my radio's code is? No info came with the car.

Now I don't dare disconnect the battery, for fear that the radio will be useless

Werner

Reply to
Werner Frei

I believe the dealer can come up with that code. A friend just had his battery replaced, and the shop made a mistake and lost the code. My friend didn't have it. They contacted the dealer and were able to get it.

BTW, they have an interesting approach. They have a battery this cables that end in a cig lighter type power end. They plug this into the power outlet, and then change the battery. The second battery keeps enough juice in the system to prevent the radio from losing the code. In my friend's case, the power outlet in his car doesn't work. They didn't realize that and lost the code.

Reply to
TL