Radio Wiring Diagram Needed for A3

Need help with a wiring diagram (scanned) or even a written description of the 10 or so wires coming out of the back of an AM/FM cassette unit that I've picked up? It appears to have been the basic model radio; the date on a QC sticker is 1995. Chilton has nothing, it would have to come from Bentley or the factory manual. Red and brown wires are the usual, but the rest . . . ? Thanks in advance, H2Only

Reply to
gsnieder

Search for VW gamma radio.

There's a page in russian that lists a number of radios:

The radio pages have some diagrams along with them.

In the future, when asking about a particular device it really helps to give more informations than it being a "basic model". If you have it out of the car you should be able to tell the manufacturer or at least the VW part number.

Reply to
wkearney99

Point taken. More information: The front of the deck looks superficially like the 'VW Premium Audio' made by Matsushita, although the QC sticker says 'Clarion' (I'm guessing Matsushita makes Clarion . . . ?) Hecho en Mexico. It has a plug on the front for 'CD IN', but no indication of a CD controller. My unit is simpler, without Dolby and with only a 7.5A fuse vs. 10A at the Russki website. However, the connector layout in three sections looks identical, and should be helpful (although I'm not compatible with pictograms, esp. when =B1 is at issue). Any guesses as to the power rating? =20 Thanks very much!=20 H2Only

Reply to
gsnieder

Serial Number is 1HM - 035 - 152 - A.

(Going by internet comments, it is a true Clarion and not a Panasonic.)

H2Only

Reply to
gsnieder

Sorry, its Monday. Correction: 1HM - 035 - 152 - A is the Part Number. PE - 9849W - 01 is the Model Number. H2Only

Reply to
gsnieder

Its getting worse instead of better. The Model Number is: PE - 9840W - 01

Reply to
gsnieder

Yeah, it's a clarion and that's NOT a panasonic, matsushita or philips unit.

Get a harness kit from crutchfield (or ebay) for the clarion premium audio and you're set.

As for power rating, please, if you're interested in high fidelity save your time and just go but a new head unit.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
wkearney99

philips unit.

Thanks, I'll try crutchfield. Looks like there is plenty of confusion around the myriad radio suppliers VW has used. I'm not expecting much power (prev. owner replaced it for a reason, obviously), but then I'm not building a boombox on wheels either. H2Only

Reply to
gsnieder