Rattles in Dash Cured

My 2003 Passat GLX 4Motion developed two bad rattles in the dash: one was a standard metallic rattle in the center of the dash, the other was a squeaking rubbing, almost creaking, sound on the passenger side.

The dealer fixed the center dash rattle by putting in a plastic support for the Monsoon radio. He said the back of the radio was hitting up against something in the dash.

The right side squeaky rattle was fixed by remounting a crossmember in the dash, which was rubbing up against the interior of the dash itself.

Just thought I'd pass this along in case anyone else has the same problem(s).

Reply to
4Motion

Wow, the dealer installed more plastic to fix the rattle!! Another example of solid, VW engineering.

I'm going to try fixing the rattles in my VW with a heat gun. I figure that fusing the plastic parts together with heat should eliminate any rattles. If more cracks develop in the dash, I'll just "melt-em" back together!! Damn, I'm ingenious!!

As I've said before, next time buy American, same amount of plastic, less out of pocket cash.

Reply to
Bob F.

You know, I used to have an American car (Pontiac) before I bought the VW, and indeed it had fewer rattles. I recently rode with the friend to whom I sold my Pontiac, and it's still very quiet in the interior.

Oh well, I think the VW is more fun to drive anyway.

Reply to
4Motion

There is nothing wrong with plastic, in fact it does many jobs better then metal. Your idea of fusing the pieces together with a heat gun doesn't seem to be the best idea to me.... you may not be able to get to the plastics melting temperature with that thing, and you might damage the material. If you want to fuse plastics your best bet is a bonding agent, not heat.

As for American cars, yea same amount of plastic, except much cheaper stuff. The plastic used by European manufacturers is of better quality, generally.

Reply to
Rob Guenther