Rattling in Engine?

I have a 1999 New Jetta VR6 and I notice a couple of days that when I shift into different gears (auto trans.) there is a rattling noise coming from the engine. After a few seconds it goes away until I shift into a different gear, then it starts again. It is most prominent when the car goes into neutral. Any ideas?

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Bennington

Is it dependant on engine RPM (rev it in neutral and see if it occurs only at certain RPMs)? I've heard of the timing chain tensioner/guides going out on the VR6. The chain flaps around and makes a rattly growly noise.

Reply to
tylernt

Heat shield rattle at a certain RPM. You wouldn't hear anything rattle in the engine unless you were listening with a stethoscope.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Reply to
Patrick Bennington

This is when the RPM changes, going in and out of drive while holding the brakes. Timing chain noise is usually constant and it's more of a whine without the cheese. Heat shields love to rattle while parked and in and out of drive or reverse while on the brake. Once rolling it goes away unless it hits that certain RPM. Disclaimer: I don't own an automatic (slush-box), I just pretend to know stuff on UseNet. :-P

Now if you were to ask me about manual transmissions and noise, then the heat shield noise would happen differently.

BTW, check your timing chain maintainance schedule in your maintainance book, and see when you have to check the timing chain tension. I don't own a VW with a timing chain but I do own a YJ Jeep with the original timing chain and 206000 miles on the clock. I guess I should start worrying about my I6 4.0L Jeep engine? :)

Reply to
Peter Parker

Reply to
Patrick Bennington

Could be worn or loose engine mounts, or something else just as bad. Better get it checked out before a very expensive repair is needed. However, no one here is going to be able to offer you any specific solutions. A hands-on inspection by a knowledgeable mechanic is the only way.

Reply to
Papa

you could. we had a dodge caravan with the mitsubishi 2.6 and that thing when it got older had a timing chain that slapped around quite a bit at idle speeds.

Reply to
Matt B.