Re: 2003 Jetta Wagons

If you keep cars for a long time Turbo Chargers like on the 1.8T can be very expensive to replace. Sounds like the 2.0 will be all you need.

Howdy! It seems we have some diehard practical VW owners in this > group so I am soliciting your opinions. > > We're looking at Jetta wagons to replace a '97 Honda Accord Wagon LX > that the dealer tells us needs $ 3000 worth of work (head gasket > leaking, needs new exhaust manifold, SRS unit needs replaced etc..). > After that bombshell we decided we were due for a new car. > > The Vicious Mrs.© drove a GLS 1.8T the other day and it was pretty > sweet with leather and sport packages. I drove a GLS auto yesterday > that was basic except for the Monsoon speakers. I really don't see > much difference between the two besides the leather seating. I did not > drive the 1.8T. > > It's mostly her car and she's not picky about cars. Her driving > consist of mostly shuttling the World's Cutest Evil Spawn© to school > and perhaps twice yearly trips of 500 miles or more with the > occasional weekend jaunt thrown in. We're in Sacramento now but moving > to Texas in late spring of 2004. Other than our hideous Vehicle > License Fee in CA any reason not to buy one in CA? > > Given the above is there a good reason to lay out the extra for the > 1.8T? > > I have to admit I have a soft spot for the VW- I had a 86' Golf way > back when and loved it. We are also looking at the Subaru wagons but > haven't driven one yet. > > Thanks... > > Cow
Reply to
Mike

Say WHAT ? Yeah - it's expensive - if you don't change the oil. The 1.8T is the most tested and reliable turbo engine ever made.

You should get 200,000 out of the 1.8T engine with regular maintenance.

Rook

Reply to
rookie

I've got a Passat wagon that I have been thinking about selling. Its bigger than a Jetta, but I don't know how it compares to the Accord.

I tried to email you, but it bounced. Email me if you are interested. I am in Sunnyvale.

Brett Grant snipped-for-privacy@grantb.org

Reply to
Brett