Re: 40K service on 09 TDI

I would heartily second the motion re: going to an independant mechanic. Just had timing belt done at dealer. Price was within $25 of independants.

Get the bill: timing belt $90 Tensioner $25? Water pump $195 coolant $25 labor $xx

No serpentine belt done, no replacement of the assorted bolts, etc.

Water pump is $35 or so via Net

No DEAL on this one:(

gary

Reply to
vrgolf

While that would indeed be an annoying omission reflecting poorly on the up to date-ness of the computer systems, wouldn't the checklist for the

40,000 mile service be readily available in a service manual or owner's manual for the car, both of which should be easily found in the dealer (or in your car in the case of the owner's manual)? From the checklist, they could then give an estimate that would be reasonably close.
Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

Yes, you would think so, but MY car was a loyalty, my owner's manual is for a gasser, and I did get a small two page (can't remember for sure) addendum for the diesel portion.

I would think in this day of computers that Vw0A would update their dealers systems to include TDI maintenance schedules.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

We do have maintenance schedules, but they are operation lists, they don't contain prices. Your dealer must have a few screws loose.

Reply to
LG

I would "think" the dealer would type in the car type and mileage, and the system would then print a list of recommended services, which would include things like DSG. If I hadn't told them it needed that, they would have NEVER known. It was when they handed me a brochure showing recommended service and it DID include spark plugs that I knew we were heading down the wrong path.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Although computers can do that kind of stuff, the program would cost -OH NO- money to buy. But a good service writer will have looked over the maintenance interval recommendations and know what needs done when. The '09s are not much different on what gets done when.

Reply to
LG