Re: 88 Fox poor starting

have been on this site before with my problems 88 Fox for over a year I

> had trouble to start it .some mechanic screwed it up and could not fix > it.finally > an old friend of mine looked at it and found a crack > in the distrubitor cap. placed new one and it starts like a charme. My > qeustion is i figured the problem was in all the electronic gismos on the > engine. > My Clinton book shows a wire terminal15A on the solenoid going to the > thermo switch can any one explain the function of this wire I never seen > this wire before on my old V.W. beetles. what is the function ? does > current go to thermo switch or the other way. can find no answer in de > clinton book. > Thanks Moony >
Reply to
Lambert Moonen

Lambert Moonen

goes to the 5th injector for cold starts

Reply to
northwind

Someone mentioned the cold start valve (AKA 5th fuel injector). The extra wire on the starter solenoid eventually makes it to the cold start valve to power it and aid in faster starts. It might go through a temperature switch also. There is a ground wire that needs to be checked also. I just don't have it committed to memory.

Reply to
dave

Reply to
Lambert Moonen

I am no Dave, but I have worked on CIS-e a bit. The switch is actually referred to as a thermo-time-switch. It has a bimetal type switch and a small heating element in it. When the switch goes above a certain temperature it opens up. It is heated both by the engine and by the heating element. After you apply power, it will heat up and then shut off. The colder the engine is, the longer it will take to shut off. The delay time can be as high as a dozen or so seconds. If the engine is warm, the switch will be off and stay off.

The switch turns on the cold start valve (the fifth injector) and the goal is to turn it on when you first turn the key to "start" and then turn it off shortly thereafter. Thus the connection to the starter solenoid. If the car doesn't start on the first attempt, the second attempt will give little or no cold-start valve action, as the thermo time switch was already heated on the first attempt.

Reply to
Randolph

Reply to
Lambert Moonen

I was about to post.............Randolph are you sure about that? Does it have a heating element in it? I was thinking that the thermo switch would only open the circuit when the coolant got warm enough. So when the coolant was cold the circuit would be closed and would allow the cold start valve to function. This switch was/is only heated by the coolant thus if the engine did not start during the first attempt, the cold start could continue to operate during the next attempts also.

These sites agree with you so now I believe that it DOES have a heating element in it!

As I understand that heating element will help to lessen an engine full of gas if it does not start after a few attempts!

I am constantly learning more and more each day. Thanks Randolph! ;-)

dave

Reply to
Lambert Moonen

Reply to
Lambert Moonen

AFAIK There is a test pipe for the emissions before the cat., but not one for an OBDx scanner for the 48 state US versions.

Not sure if the California Foxes are different.

later, dave (One out of many Daves)

Reply to
dave

Had to renew my gastank in my 1967 V.W.beetle. Since the car is in storage and seldom used how can I prevent rust and condence from acumilating in the tank. should I coat it with some oil.? Thanks Moony.

Reply to
Lambert Moonen

There are gas tank repair kits. You clean the tank with their cleaner which is an acid. You mix up their coating which sometimes is an epoxy coating which you slosh around the inside of the tank. When cured you now have an epoxy tank that will not rust from the inside.

Store the car >Had to renew my gastank in my 1967 V.W.beetle. Since the car is in storage

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Just FYI, there's an aircooled counterpart to this group (obviously named rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled) that might be of more interest to you and your '67.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Lambert Moonen sloeg het volgende aan.

To prevent rust from inside, Just fil it up with gasoline, where is gasoline there is no air. Ill do the same with my motorbike during the winter.

Reply to
Yoda

Reply to
Lambert Moonen