Re: 92 Cabriolet buzzing after sharp turns?

Hi. My 92 Cabby has started making this loud buzzing noise

>(electrical?) after making a sharp turn and accelerating. At first the >buzzing would stop when I straightened out the car and accelerated >more but now it seems to be getting worse and sometimes the buzzing >stays on for a bit (maybe the longer I drive in one stretch the worse >it gets?). Also seems to be happening more when I?m not turning. What >is going on?! > >As an aside, it has also had the oil light flickering on and off >problem. It?s helpful to read that others have had this issue too. >Working on that one! > >Any help would be so appreciated. >

That buzzing noise is usually the low oil level warning system.

Have you checked the oil?

Could be low or a bad sending unit/relay.

Reply to
Dave

On my car ('92 Jetta) it was the oil pressure switch. (As an aside the oil light on the dash is not an oil level indicator as others seem to think it's for pressure.)

Reply to
Archangel

Where does the noise come from? Dash or rear of car?

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >

Woodchuck

If its coming from the dash its a oil pressure warning device. If its com= ing from the back of the car its probably a bad fuel transfer pump (the main pump often buzzes if the transfer pump fails). However, since you are see= ing the oil light come on too, I'm guessing its an oil issue. Possible problems:

1) Too little oil (most probable if it only happens when cornering hard) 2) Incorrect oil weight (you should be running 20W50 or 15W50 if you live in the US) 3) Weak (bad) oil pump 4) Faulty oil pressure switches

If you determine its a bad pump, you should replace it with a pump from an= A3 Jetta (93-98) as they are more powerful and will give you more reliable lubrication. While you are replacing it, there is an oil baffle that was installed in the A3 oil pan which can be retrofitted to your car. Its quite cheap and does a great job of keeping oil near the pickup while cornering.

dan

Reply to
naaah