Re: Chart comparing synthetic oils:

||On Thu, 27 May 2004 00:31:57 GMT, "Fred Fartalot" || wrote: || ||>If I get what I pay for I am always happy but Amsoil oil is the biggest ||scam ||>out there! ||>This stuff is not even API certified for use in vehicle made by U.S. ||>manufacturers.

API specs are dictated by the new car manufacturers. Some years ago - mid 1990s?

- they decided that the anti-wear agents in the then-current spec was not going to get along with their catalytic converters, so the new API spec required greatly-reduced wear additives. Oil packagers that wished to maintain the wear protection had to forego the API certification. This is true of racing oils and other lubricants where wear protection is more important than catalytic converter protection. The point is, lack of API certification doesn't mean it's a bad oil. It can mean that their target customer has different priorities than the new car makers.

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

It may mean that it's no good for your catalytic converter. That maked it bad in my book.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

||Rex B wrote: || ||> Oil packagers that wished to maintain the wear ||> protection had to forego the API certification. This is true of racing oils and ||> other lubricants where wear protection is more important than catalytic ||> converter protection. ||> The point is, lack of API certification doesn't mean it's a bad oil. || ||It may mean that it's no good for your catalytic converter. That maked ||it bad in my book.

Many of us have 4-cycle engines with no catalytic converters.

Race cars power equipment - lawnmrwers etc tractors aircraft special interest vehicles

As a matter of interest, I think you will find most of the new high-mileage oils do not have API certification. Doesn't make them bad oils, just special application oils, for applications outside the environment API is designed for. Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

Yeah, fine. This is a *VW* newsgroup, and AFAIK, most if not all watercooled VWs have catalytic converters.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

||Rex B wrote: || ||> On Thu, 27 May 2004 13:29:28 -0400, Mike Smith ||> wrote: ||> ||> ||Rex B wrote: ||> || ||> ||> Oil packagers that wished to maintain the wear ||> ||> protection had to forego the API certification. This is true of racing oils ||> and ||> ||> other lubricants where wear protection is more important than catalytic ||> ||> converter protection. ||> ||> The point is, lack of API certification doesn't mean it's a bad oil. ||> || ||> ||It may mean that it's no good for your catalytic converter. That maked ||> ||it bad in my book. ||> ||> Many of us have 4-cycle engines with no catalytic converters. ||> || ||Yeah, fine. This is a *VW* newsgroup, and AFAIK, most if not all ||watercooled VWs have catalytic converters.

Well, one of "Mine" does not. If you don't want the information, hit [delete]

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

You know what's really funny? Since Amsoil already has at least one formulation licensed, it wouldn't cost them *anything* extra in licensing fees to amend that existing license to cover additional formulations.

Reply to
random